Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Things that are different here

  • Edy's is called Dreyer's. But it's still just as yummy. OMG that Tagalong ice cream? I can NOT buy that again.
  • There's no Kroger, but there is King Sooper's, and they appear to be owned by the same company. Also, there's no Trader Joe's. And no Ikea. I KNOW. But you can't expect to drastically reduce your cost of living without giving up ANYTHING. And in general there's actually a ton of great shopping here, more than in DC.
  • People are so friendly. At the grocery store? The MANAGER helped me find cottage cheese, then personally bagged our stuff and offered to carry it out to the car for us. The thought of anyone at a grocery store in DC offering to carry our stuff to the car is hilarious.
  • Prime time starts at 7 instead of 8, but they switch the order of the shows. On the East Coast on Monday nights, 24 is on at 8 and House is on at 9. Here, 24 is still on at 8, but House is on at 7. So we're watching House in real time with the rest of you, but we're two hours behind on 24. And on American Idol. This means I have to stay away from Twitter on results nights.
  • Houses are affordable! As in, we can buy one sometime in the near future without bankrupting ourselves! Not a huge mansion, but a nice house. Certainly nicer than the shack 40 miles out of town that we would have been lucky to afford in DC. OK, that's an exaggeration, but still.
  • The weather. I know that the weather here is unpredictable, but I'm loving what we've had for our first week. It's been sunny and in the 60s pretty much every day. One night it snowed, and that was pretty. And then the next day it was sunny and in the 60s again, and we didn't even have to scrape off our car because the snow all melted.
  • There's no traffic to speak of. I mean, the highway gets crowded at rush hour, but in DC you could get on the Beltway at midnight and still not be sure if you'd be bumper to bumper. It was so bad that the GPS's estimate of when we'd arrive at a place was usually off by about 50%, and that's with a live traffic feed, because it just didn't understand the slow crawl and long lines of red lights that make up DC driving. Here the GPS's estimates are pretty much entirely accurate.
  • The mountains are always there, always visible, and always beautiful. And you can orient yourself based on where they are.
  • There appear to be no mailboxes on the street, anywhere. I drove around looking for one for like fifteen minutes, and finally gave up and drove the three miles to the post office so that our car payment wouldn't be late. Is this normal? In DC there was one on a street corner at least every couple blocks. Where the hell are they all around here? Have I gone blind?
  • Dogs! Everywhere! I saw two people in Home Depot with their dogs. Tons of people walk dogs on the street all the time. It's amazing. And makes me extra sad that we weren't able to get an interview with the two dogs we're interested in adopting for a week and a half. How will we wait that long? I'm not sure it can be done.

30 comments:

  1. I never thought that I would want to live in Denver, because it just wouldn't occur to me, but...this sounds kids of like paradise!

    It honestly sounds a lot like Winnipeg without the horrifying cold! I need to keep bugging Mister to apply for US jobs with that dual citizenship of his!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly cannot think of where there might be a mailbox on a STREET here. I never thought of that before, but you are TOTALLY right.

    I LIKE the 7:00 prime time thing. 8:00 is TOO LATE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mailbox thing is totally normal. In Texas you pretty much have to go to a post office to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe there is no Trader Joe's in Denver. It seems like it would be a perfect market for them - maybe you should open one as a second career!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see the mountains every day. Ahhhhh...

    I can't wait for you to get a dog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was perusing the Denver Public Schools website the other day and it just so happens they are currently hiring librarians at four schools. Very interesting, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denver is dreamy. And if I can't live there, I'm loving the opportunity to see it through your eyes (though I dare say, I'm NOT living vicariously! ha). BTW, I think Denver gets something like 355 days of sun a year. A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re: mountains-I'm the same way with the lake. Any time I'm lost in Chicago I just remember that the lake is East and I get back on track. Very convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  9. everything sounds so lovely! i want to visit now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once you get away from the east coast, people (strangers) are definitely friendlier. I have no idea why that is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've found your paradise.

    Seattle gave up their streetside mailboxes after a few of them were broken into using cars, or some such nonsense. Maybe that's what Denver did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG you have just made me about 90% more glad that this is the city I live in. Bumper to bumper traffic at midnight? Aiyiyi.

    Though, just TRY to get up in the mountains on a Saturday morning. I double-dog dare you.

    Yeah, the post-office box thing--I had to get used to it, too. The good news is, you can sometimes find them in random office parks near you--we have one between the King Soopers and the bank near us. Also, random businesses will serve as local post offices, meaning not only can you mail letters, you can mail packages and stuff without having to go to the P.O. This year I mailed all of our Christmas packages on the 21st, at 11 a.m. on a Saturday, and there were two (2) people in line in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tv thing throws me whenever I visit my family in Arizona too. As for mailboxes, try looking for them in areas where there is a grocery store, drug store, bank, etc. all together. Here you will often find them on the sidewalk of a shopping center like that. We have one by the grocery store next door to our condo of all places. And there is one down the street from my work outside of a business park for some reason. Why, I have no idea.

    I'm surprised there's no IKEA or Trader Joe's, as we have both of them here, so does California, and there is at least Trader Joe's in Arizona...maybe they will make it to your new area soon? I suppose I could live without IKEA if I had to...but no Trader Joe's? That would take some serious getting used to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denver sounds fabulous!! We don't have mailboxes on corners here either, maybe because where I live it's more a driving and less of a walking place. I dunno...
    I've never even BEEN to IKEA. I know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yup, and I like King Soopers here better than Safeway. But the best grocery store for produce and healthy stuff is Sunflower Market (it's like Whole Paycheck, but far less expensive). I have been bemoaning the lack of TJs for years and still have people send me care packages (plus, when we go to California or somewhere with a TJs we stock up). I can explain the lack of TJs in an email if you like (it has to do with CO's weird liquor laws I think). And we're getting an IKEA...in 2 or 3 years.

    The weather thing is highly unusual. Enjoy it, because of the six winters I've lived here this has been by far the mildest. We usually have a lot more snow in Feb (plus, it's usually in the 30s and 40s, not the 60s). And snow is possible all the way until late April or early May.

    If you're trying to commute from the Northern or Southern suburbs into/out of the city during rush hour, traffic can be awful. Otherwise, yeah, it's not so bad.

    I'm not sure what part of town you're in, but more populated areas have mailboxes (I can think of 3 on my walk to work in the morning). They're usually near businesses rather than in front of residences.

    And Denver is the most dog-friendly city I have ever been to. On nice spring/summer/fall evenings people bring their dogs to bars with patios. People bring their dogs to the grocery store (though they stay outside). And lots of stores allow dogs inside. Unfortunately, during snowy winters a lot of times people with dogs won't pick up the poop and when all the snow melts in the spring there's gross ancient frozen dog turds everywhere. This year, people can't get away with it because we haven't had very much snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds absolutely lovely! And yay for 60 degree weather...it's currently very cold and very windy here in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jess,

    If you follow those mountains north you will land on our doorstep. Cool, huh?

    When I moved to DC I was so, so, SO lost. Where were the mountains in the east? That is still how I orient myself.

    You will have a dog very soon!

    I will send you a link on Facebook - hoping to get a Trader Joe's in Denver! Someday! Have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha ha. I mean the mountains to the WEST. Good god. Maybe that wasn't why I was always lost....

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like a fantastic city. Any city that is dog-friendly is good in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is a rumor that IKEA is coming to Denver, but so far it's just a rumor. And there was a petition a while back to get Trader Joe's here too, but I'm not sure what happened with that.

    The mailbox thing is weird. It's all about the centralized box systems, and they suck.

    The weather has been nice, I agree. Now if that wind would die down a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww. i am so glad you are enjoying your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha i love these new posts! i like hearing of your new adventures! it's all so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its the little things that make it so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Also, Hellman's is called Best Foods...or the other way around, I can't remember as I never eat the stuff.

    The friendly in the supermarket thing is mind blowing isn't it? I can't tell you how many nice little conversations I've had in line at Trader Joe's (they're plentiful in California, sorry). The *only* time someone ever spoke to me in a Massachusetts grocery store it was a fellow Californian.

    So happy for you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. -Find Sunflower Market. It is like Whole Foods/ Trader Joes but BETTER and less expensive! It is only in CO and NM.

    -The earlier time shows are awesome. It makes it easier to watch football on Sunday & Monday nights!

    -Denver gets 300 days of sunshine. I am very jealous as it will be a low of 9 tonight in MA.

    ReplyDelete
  26. IKEA is putting up in store in a south suburb (Highlands Ranch/Littleton area I believe). Glad you are enjoying it! I for one miss Colorado a lot...and this post reminds me of a few reasons why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that you're noticing the little things. Isn't that what making a home is all about?

    Really looking forward to more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We noticed a lot of changes in brand names, etc. when we moved out here.

    It would be nice to have mountains to orient yourself to. After more than two years here, I still have issues determining which way is which.

    ReplyDelete