Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Counting votes

Yesterday afternoon the desk that we ordered for Torsten's desk arrived, so last night we put it together, and by the end we were cursing ourselves for not forking over the extra cash to have the delivery guys assemble it. I guess we were thinking that it would be easy like Ikea stuff, and oh, it was not. Even now, it is together and functional enough for him to work on temporarily, but there are quite a few little stabilizing pieces that still need to be added in order to ensure that the whole thing won't collapse.

Also, we put it together backward, couldn't figure out how to fix it, and had to set up in the reverse direction from what we had originally planned to compensate. Because we are awesome.

Still, though. There was one point when we figured out that we had done something really obvious and straightforward wrong, and then, mostly because we were tired, we cracked up for quite some time, and I was on the floor laughing and practicing going limp in case I ever need to get arrested at a protest (unlikely, but it's always good to hone these skills, right?). And it was just... you know, one of those moments. You still wish that you'd hired someone to do it for you, but since you didn't, at least you're laughing, and laughing together.

And, I realized I forgot to include one important difference in my post yesterday. My vote actually matters! I mean, I always voted in DC, but the city is something like 92% Democrat, so it's not like my vote made a difference. I did it out of a belief that everyone should vote, and my desire for civic participation, and not because I actually felt like I had an effect. Plus, DC doesn't have statehood, so the only elections we got to vote in were local and presidential. No Senators, no Representatives. At least, not voting ones.

So now, not only do I live in an actual state with actual voting rights in Congress, but it's a SWING state. My vote matters EXTRA much! It's like I'm making up for lost time. In fact, next year apparently there's going to be a very interesting election. President Obama appointed Colorado Senator Ken Salazar as the Secretary of the Interior, which is great for him but also interesting for the Senate race because he was widely expected to win reelection in 2010. Now he's been replaced with someone who has little experience and is not well-known, Michael Bennet, which means that the 2010 Senate race here is much more open that originally expected.

And I get to vote in it! Instead of just electing Eleanor Holmes Norton as DC's shadow representative AGAIN.

Also, I take my voting extra seriously because of Torsten. You know how parents usually feel like they're voting on behalf of their minor children, trying to make the best choice for them as well, since they can't vote for themselves? Well, Torsten is also not able to vote, since he isn't a citizen, so I feel like I'm voting on behalf of both of us.

Luckily, we agree politically, because how could I not vote in the best interest of someone who makes me lie on the floor laughing over the normally miserable task of assembling a desk?

15 comments:

  1. Believe you me, I'm so happy that Colorado now has your vote. Seriously happy. But, I'm pretty sure Colorado could use two extra blue votes. So, ummm, does Torsten plan to become a citizen? We could use him on our side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg funny story about the desk! I love ikea but sometimes the directions are crazy and things turn out different! Yay on the voting. If you laugh in stressful situations like putting together furniture that will bring you both together. Comic relief is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Oh no! At least the desk fits into your new scheme? = D

    That's great that your vote will be going a longer way - when Mister and I were looking for our house we definitely made sure that we were looking at Liberal ridings. It completely confounded our realtor lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in Cali my vote falls on deaf ears ( or tied hands) as it's majority lies always with the democrats - but vote I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I hope that desk doesn't just collapse under the weight of a laptop or something.

    Yay for more dems! We need 'em here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't thought of Torsten not voting... is he going to apply for citizenship now that you are married? Are you going to apply for dual citizenship in Germany? You should... I drool with envy at the thought of an EU passport (and all those beautiful, short lines in international airports.... *sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny story! It is great to have someone to laugh with, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny story! It is great to have someone to laugh with, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having grown up in California (where my vote mattered in that voting mattered, but election outcomes were rarely in doubt) I've really enjoyed feeling more a part of the political process in the last few elections here in Colorado. Especially the most recent one - living in a swing state can be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am such a n00b at assembling furniture, I bet you guys did a better job than I would have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You also get (have?) to vote on initiatives in Colorado. It took me forever to read all of the materials and determine how I would vote this year. I'm willing to pay that price for a democratic republic, but I have serious concerns about the initiative process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rumor has it an IKEA will be opening soon in Denver. Actually, near us (south Denver. Woot). However, my source for this information is my DAD, who lives in OHIO.

    I was so stoked for Ken Salazar to be Secretary of the Interior, and so sad, too. He was my favorite Colorado politician ever (okay, he was tied with our state senator from my old town, who'd been my husband's humanities teacher in high school). But he's one of the few who can really reach out both to liberal cityfolk and the red-tinged farming and ranching portions of the state. I haven't really gotten a feel for Michael Bennett yet, but I have a feeling he's going to have a hard re-election campaign (and he's going to be up against some Republican DOOZIES).

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first time I assembled a piece of furniture (it was a bookcase), I put the top piece on upside down somehow, so that the bolts were exposed when the shouldn't be. The second time I put together a bookcase, I told myself to take my time and PAY ATTENTION so I wouldn't do the same thing again. I did the exact same thing, but on the bottom shelf. There is no hope for me. So at least you guys aren't alone? And a desk is way more complicated than a bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you mentioned that you laughed about the desk because up to that point I was feeling bad for laughing - not at you, but because I KNOW. My husband never looks at the directions until something "just doesn't look right." It always turns into a memorable incident. Happily, we end up laughing about it, too.

    ReplyDelete