Thursday, September 18, 2008

The wedding look

Well, you guys certainly were clear about the makeup. And reading all of your opinions was very useful because it helped me solidify how I feel about the makeup myself.

First of all, it did look a bit pale in the photos, but I'm going to chalk that up to harsh flash because the shade looked really good in person, both when I did it and when the Bobbi Brown girl did it. I will add a bit more blush or maybe a bit of bronzer, but honestly, I'm just a very pale person, and I'm OK with that. Second of all, I will amp up the eyes a bit to make them pop more, and I definitely need better mascara. My problem is that waterproof mascara just doesn't seem to be very good--at least, not the ones that I've tried. Does anyone have suggestions of a waterproof mascara that really works?

But here's my attitude about wedding makeup. I don't wear makeup every day, although I do love it and enjoy it. I'm all about looking natural and fresh while playing up my attributes a little bit. And I do totally understand the focus on piling on the makeup for the benefit of the camera on your wedding day.

But my thing about wedding makeup is that I really just want to look like a fresh, glowing, even-toned version of myself. I don't want drama and I don't want to look totally unlike how I look every day. I want to look soft and dewy and natural. I want to wear makeup that improves upon my natural features, but I don't want it to be overtly visible.

And honestly, while the wedding photography is definitely important to me, the most important thing is how I look in person. The makeup I was wearing for yesterday's photos already looked dramatic in person. If I add much more, I will not be comfortable, and wedding guests will notice that I do not look like myself. Wedding photos are for documenting a moment--and the moment itself is the most important thing to me. I want Torsten's jaw to drop when he sees me for the first time, but not because he can't believe my makeup.

Plus, I wore a lot less makeup than that for our engagement photos, and they turned out fine. So I'm really not too worried.

So, thanks for the advice, and I will work on ramping up the eyes a bit. But for the most part I felt, and your comments seemed to support this, that the makeup I did myself was pretty good. It didn't feel over the top--it improved on my natural look without becoming the focus of my face. And that's exactly what I want.

In other wedding-related news, I had my last dress fitting last night, and the dress fits perfectly. I would say "like a glove" except that I don't think gloves are usually A-line. But seriously, it follows all the right lines and conceals all the wrong ones. It's totally comfortable and incredibly flattering. And I have it in my hot little hands (OK, hanging in my bedroom) once again. Two days before the wedding, it will go back to the seamstress for steaming and pressing. And then it will be ready to wear. On my wedding day.

I am definitely not the squeeing type. However: eeeeee.

36 comments:

  1. Loreal Double Extend Mascara comes in waterproof. I have never used the waterproof one but I use the regular kind and LOVE it. Really extends my stubby little lashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the engagement photos did turn out good. i guess in the long run, whatever you are most comfortable with is best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybelline full and soft is amazing. I'm not sure if it comes in waterproof, but i've never had any problems with the regular stuff. it's cheap too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to be almost married. I'm imagining you feel something like how I always felt before Christmas when I was a little kid. That was pretty exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally the squeeing type. Ergo,

    Sqqqqquuueeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do what makes you feel most comfortable and the pictures (and the rest of the day) will be amazing!

    ssssssqqqqqqqqqqqquuuuuuuueeeeeee for having the dress in your poessession, its so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will squeeee for you!

    You are totally right - do whatever makes you most comfortable. It is your day to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Squee indeed!

    Your makeup for the engagement pictures is beautiful, I vote for more of every day you with a little more sparkle - which will be provided by the excitement of the day.

    As much as the day is about how you feel, you're beautiful -
    never mind your makeup! = )

    Congrats on being almost there! The mascara that I've been using is Maybelline Intense, it doesn't flake off and it does its job. Unlike any of the all day lipsticks I've been using.

    If you're going that route, the only ones I've found that work are Revlon, everything else flakes off in sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I simply had to go back and look at your engagement photos.

    They are so beautiful. I really really wish I had had them done when I got engaged.

    And I totally support you doing your own makeup. It was by far the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would HIGHLY recommend Clinique's waterproof mascara. I got it for my wedding because the woman told me that it is heat sensitive - it won't come off from crying, but it will come off in the shower without eye makeup remover (I hate eye makeup remover). And it works fabulously (the heat sensitive thing is true - it doesn't run AT ALL during the day, even when sweating), and it doesn't get at all clumpy.

    And I didn't comment yesterday, but I agree that the makeup you did yourself was awesome. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to swear by Maybelline Full and Soft, but just started using Diorshow Waterproof this week. I swear, I have to SCRUB that stuff off, even eye makeup remover doesn't cut it.

    [I just found your blog, thanks to Google Reader, and I haven't read the other posts yet. I just had to stop and comment on mascara, cause I was amazed by that stuff and I have to tell everyone ;) ]

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you made the right decision about the make up. I use Mary Kay waterproof mascara and it works well.

    Your wedding dress in hanging in your closest. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure this was mentioned, but don't forget about the department store make-up counters! I wear Estee-Lauder b/c it works well with my skin. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Avon Daring Curves waterproof is good stuff. Their waterproof mascaras are overall my very favorite.

    I love your tiny little non-squee squee. Ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use covergirl mascara- I forget what it's called, but I use either the Lash Blast (orange casing) or Lash Exact (purple casing!). Both use a plastic head on the wand, which, I think, makes for better application. Other products I've tried are clumpy or they dont last.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you're excited and happy with your make-up. You have the right attitude and that's what counts. It's going to be a beautiful day and everyone will most certainly remember the beautiful bride!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wedding dress. In the closet! ooooohhh... So, how many times a day do you find yourself "checking on it" to be sure it's REALLY there and grinning?

    Or am I the only one who does stuff like that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG - your wedding dress is right there in your closet! That definitely warrants a squeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dior Show is the BEST mascara ever made. It comes in regular and waterproof. Both are amazing. Go get it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hooray for wedding dress in your possession! Squeeeee! The dress is hands-down the most exciting part. I'm so excited to see pictures of you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i shall squee for you! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! SO EXCITING!!!!! :-)

    can't help with the mascara, though. in fact, let me know what YOU find works!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I swear by Benefits Bad Girl lash.

    I used to wear XXL by Mabeline but after ponying up and buying a more expensive brand of mascara, my lashes feel more natural and not stiff.

    Glad that the dress is perfect and that you are excited. You must be floating!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to see the dress and the wedding pics. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The mascara I wear is Rimmel of London waterproof Eye Magnifier. It works great for me, and it's not very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I used to use various Lancome mascaras and still love them, but wanted to downgrade to something less pricey because I don't wear it every day. Now I love Maybelline Define-a-Lash, probably because I want natural, but better looking lashes and have major issues with mascaras that clump (like Mabelline Great Lash, which is always so popular, so I must be in the minority there).

    For truly all out amazing lashes, I use individual falsies. Makeup For Ever has nice ones and they're not too tough to put on if you rehearse a few times before the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad you love your dress and the final fitting is over with! Weee! I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have you considered perhaps going for a lilac eyeshadow from MAC? There's a lovely pigment called Viz-A-Violet (it looks dark in the pot, but goes on lilac) that I think it's understated and would look totally lovely and natural on you.

    As for mascara, I can totally recommend Mirenesse. They're an Australian brand (so you'd have to buy it online, they definitely ship to the states) but they are the very BEST, they're not harsh at all, and come off with just water and your fingers. They're not water proof as such (because you can take it off your with just water) but they are water resistant, extremely long wearing, smear-proof, sweat-proof, smudgeproof, sleep-proof, flake-free - and I can totally vouch for all of those! I've never ever had a problem with my mascara running, and I'm a big crier! I have short stubby eyelashes, so the long version of this stuff, is awesome. It really does lengthen (and I've tried every single freakin' mascara out there for this!)

    The cool thing about Mirenesse is a) it's quality and isn't going to rip your eyelashes out b) it's reasonably price and c) they ALWAYS have free gifts on their site, so you can pick up some awesome bargains.

    http://www.mirenesse.com/

    I'm not a sales rep, honest! I just really love their stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have really sensitive eyes and even when I would wear waterproof mascara it would smudge because my eyes are always leaky. I tried various different types and nothing, no matter how pricey, ever stayed put. I recently tried Blinc's Kiss Me mascara and I love it. It never ever smudges. It goes on like little tubes and to take it over you just wash your face and apply a little pressure. It looks like little squiggly lines when it comes over. I have slept in it and cried in it and it never comes off. You can also just wash it off in the shower where the heat helps it come off.

    ReplyDelete
  29. When I got married, I wanted to look like myself for the wedding. So I went suuuuper simple on the makeup.

    Do whatever make you feel like your gorgeous self!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree: waterproof mascara never seems as good as regular mascara. Thankfully, I don't often have to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, I TOTALLY AGREE with your make-up philosophy! Also, make-up is one of the things that looks SO DATED later on (fashion magazines from the '70s? HILARIOUS), so less makeup = less dated-looking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi. I just found your blog. I had the same issue with wedding makeup last year. I ended up just going to clinique and having them do my makeup the day of and the risk paid off. I felt pretty all day and whenever I look at my pictures the third thing I think is "ooh, pretty makeup!" (The first two are "I love my husband and that was so fun!" and "my boobs looked so hot in that dress!")

    ReplyDelete
  33. Shopping for wedding dress is not an easy task, it takes weeks and if you are not lucky then maybe months. I found some interesting tips from your blog, I never knew I can find so much loveliness on just one blog.

    ReplyDelete