Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ways he has changed me

Last night Gossip Girl was on, and Stephanie was telling me how she wished that I watched that show so that we could discuss it. And I was saying yeah, I wish I watched it too. Which, under normal circumstances, if I wanted to watch a TV show? I would just watch it. And I could. But Torsten would die before he watched that show (even though he has patiently watched all six seasons of Sex and the City with me). And I pretty much don't ever watch TV when Torsten isn't there, because that's one thing we only do together.

So. That's one way that he's changed me. This is something that, if I were single and in college, might bother me--like he's preventing me from watching the shows I want to watch? But that's not how it is at all. I could totally watch it if I wanted to. It's just that because of how our life is and because of how our tastes are, I don't. And that's fine.

Other ways that Torsten has changed me:
  • I am more cuddly. I still can't stand being touched while I sleep, but before I sleep and when I wake up and during the day, I like being cuddled and actively seek it out. I was never like that before.
  • I am better at big-picture decisions. I think things through more thoroughly, automatically. My priorities are a bit more innate, because they aren't just my priorities. They are ours.
  • I don't sleep as late. I have a more regular schedule in general. I am better-rested.
  • I am healthier. We cook at home most times and even when we go out, I try to be healthy. And we walk together a fair amount, and will more now that the weather is getting warmer. And I take better care of myself, such as with the cut I got on my leg--if Torsten hadn't been there, I wouldn't have washed it as well, wouldn't have applied Neosporin as diligently, wouldn't have bandaged it at all.
  • I am more sure of myself. I know there is someone who loves everything about me. I don't worry about my flaws. I know that my pluses outweigh my minuses. I'm not afraid to ask for what I want and stand up for myself. I have always been confident, but now I am more so.
  • I am much more into technology than I realized. For example, I used to think that HD TV wasn't worth it for me. Now I'm addicted.
  • I am more romantic. I notice romantic things more. I am less prickly. But not a sap.
  • I am happier than I have ever been.

41 comments:

  1. It is such a wonderful thing to realize the good your loved one brings out in you! I love recognizing new things like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! And to prevent myself from saying something sappy and vomit worthy, I'll just say that I love looking at myself in the relationship and see how I've grown in ways I never thought possible. I'm so glad you can too. You've got so many good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was adorable. I may be using this format in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, but people say the person who loves you will not change you. In reality, that's rarely the case. Clearly you have shown how you've grown by having Torsten in your life. Lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic...just what love should do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet post! i'm sure that Torsten would have an equally great post about all the ways you've enriched his life.

    Aren't you glad you're marrying this guy soon? :)

    My very favourite part is where you talk about how you've become more sure of yourself. When you're with someone who loves you, quirks and all, you can't help but shine even brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list. It's so fantastic that your soon to be betrothed brings out all these wonderful qualities and habits in you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your list is what is so great about love. it changes us in good ways and makes us realize there is someone out there who will love us for who we are :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny how that works. Lord of the Manor showed me how to not be such a bulldozer, while I taught him the fine art of not being a doormat.

    Now we're both someplace in the middle. We can stand up for what we believe, but we know when to back down and let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very lucky to realize what how you have blossomed since him.

    What have you changed about him?

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of that change is TOTALLY worth missing Gossip Girl. (Although if Torsten is ever away on business or a guys' weekend after the DVDs come out, you should definitely treat yourself!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading about love and I love that you have love that I hope I can have (again) someday soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet post. All relationships require compromise and it's great to see that you are so happy about your's :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet post. I'm totally jealous. But I'm super happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. People who bring out the best in us are worth everything in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so nice and sweet! And I also want to hear how you've changed Torsten!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the list! I think a good relationship does change you, but for the better. I do love my gossip girl though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. so sweet!

    on the other hand, i say you tivo gossip girl and watch it when he's not home ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sweet. You should incorporate this into your wedding speech!

    ReplyDelete
  20. but gossip girl was SOOOOO GOOOOOD (steph, we should talk about it! I can't believe it!!!!!!!!)

    It's interesting that you think you're less prickly now. Because I'm definitely a prickly person, so maybe there's HOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is sweet. Being a part of a forever couple does change your life - but just like you said, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful list. Its amazing how we grow and change depending on the people we choose to surround ourselves with.

    I can relate to the technology part. I didn't even have a cell phone or cable before I met the SO and now I'm addicted to my CrackBerry and high speed internet and cable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a sweet post.

    How is your leg, btw?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally cute. And totally stealable post idea.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it's really important to reflect honestly on how the people in our lives have changed and shaped us.

    And also? I cannot STAND being touched while I'm sleeping. Back the f up.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hear you- you change so many things in a good relationship. Me, I've become more tidy and suddenly know many many things about Formula 1 and Snooker (not soccer though- I draw the line there). But yeah, the main thing is that I feel more sure of myself and secure. Its a wonderful feeling isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  27. All the great things love makes you realize!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aww. This is so sweet, and so rare. It makes me want to fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
  29. that is absolutely beautiful. and they're all changes for the better! congrats on growing together as a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This was such a great post... I WANT WHAT YOU HAVE!!!

    *Disclaimer* NOT Torsten...lol...just someone LIKE Torsten, and a love LIKE you guys'....didn't want you to think I'm all Angelina-ing on yo' man! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this...absolutely love.

    Thanks for giving me a smile.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  32. The ways that he has changed you are so cute...I love it, and I love that you guys have come together as one. It's so cute! And I agree with you about Gossip Girl. I don't watch because G wouldn't be interested, so I don't want to make him sit through that.

    ReplyDelete
  33. 'Less prickly and not a sap' - that's me.....only now that I've had a child I'm leaning more scarily toward sap every day. Yikes! Good men make change worthwhile, no?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love HD TV now too, and only because my boyfriend got me hooked on it. And as for health and sleep... It IS amazing how people can have a positive effect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh cuteness! I'm so glad you're happy.

    ReplyDelete