Monday, May 18, 2009

Slightly in pain but still happy

Well, we had a nice, relaxing weekend as would be expected when recovering from abdominal surgery. My post-op instructions say that I have no formal limitations on activity and should be walking around as much as possible, so I've been doing that, but the incisions have certainly been placing their own limits on how much I can move.

On Saturday we ran a few errands and I think I overdid it a little, because when I got home I had some sharp pain in one of my incisions (from pulling on the scar tissue, I believe) and was exhausted. But, we got a lot done and also used a new-homeowners' gift certificate to a nearby nursery to buy a gorgeous hanging plant (blue lobelia) for our patio, which already had a hook in the roof just waiting for some sort of decor. It is our first attempt at "gardening" and walking around the nursery (even though I was going at about the pace of a snail) made us very excited for that someday future time when we have the time and funds to landscape our entire yard.

Also, even though I don't have any fills in my band yet, meaning that I don't have any real restriction, I haven't been eating much. I never had any problems telling if I was full or hungry before, but now it's really tough because there's the pain and slight nausea and everything, so I'm only eating if I can positively tell that I'm hungry, making sure to get in my 60-80 grams of protein every day, but only hitting about 600-700 calories a day. The Vicodin probably helped with me not feeling hungry, and I've switched over to Tylenol for now, so that will probably change, but I'll take what I can get. I'm down about 15 pounds since a week ago. Too bad that rate of weight loss won't continue.

Also this weekend? Lots and lots of glorious napping. Oh, and amazing weather. It was in the 80s, but it didn't feel hot. Unlike DC, where even the high 70s could make you feel miserable if it was humid enough, here the 80s just feels nice, and it's still cool and breezy in the shade. Our house doesn't have air conditioning, and we figured we'd install it if we missed it, but I'm thinking we're not going to. Ceiling fans make all the difference, and because it's not humid here, you can actually open the windows.

I haven't had any doubts since we moved here, but now more than ever I am sure: we made the right decision. I am happy about my surgery, happy about our house, happy to be living in Denver, happy to have Montana, happy to be in this job and working from home. Happy to be with Torsten.

20 comments:

  1. Love your positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that last paragraph was just such a lovely Monday morning read. Glad things are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy everything's working out for you, you deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And your happiness is infectious. I cannot tell you how much I sit here smiling while reading every entry you post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather was great this weekend! There's a short period in July where it is just HOT and sort of unbearable, but then the monsoon rains come in the afternoons and cool everything off. I survived with no AC for most of my time in CO. I finally wimped after this latest move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great when things just fall into place? Despite the physical reminder you recently had surgery, it sounds like life is really going well for you two. Makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo!

    Ia m glad you are starting to feel better and so glad that everything has "clicked" for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're so happy about this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess, I'm so happy you're happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also love your positive attitude!

    I'm glad you're feeling a bit better too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad to hear you are doing well! Sounds like a pretty blissful weekend, even with the pain. Hope you are even better today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi honey, I hope things keep going well!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how I LOVE the WEST! Humidity is an evil beast. It was in the 80s here yesterday, but because I was out in the San Francisco Bay with a lovely breeze, I was perfectly comfortable.

    Glad you're recovering well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only way to survive humid heat is (for some weird reason)is being in and out of a swimming pool... or aircon obviously.
    Dry heat- and cold are so much easier!
    Glad you're doing so well! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vicodin makes me sicker than a dog. I envy those who can take it without horrifying side effects!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love reading about happy people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad things are going so well for you, Jess! Here's to successful surgeries! *toast*

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sound so great! having your surgery in the spring was a really good decision - everyone is happy in spring!

    ReplyDelete