Friday, May 15, 2009

So many feelings in my stomach

Waking up from surgery is just such an unpleasant experience. I remember this from last year when I had parathyroid surgery, but I was hoping that this time would be better, and it both was and was not. It was better because I woke up from a complication-free surgery at the right time and was not totally confused and alone. It was also better because I didn't feel nauseated--I told my anesthesiologist that last time I did get nausea, so she gave me some preventive stuff ahead of time, and it worked.

It was worse because when they do abdominal surgery, I guess sometimes they put pressure on your diaphragm? Or something? I can't remember exactly what because I was kind of out of it when the nurse was explaining it to me, but it was very difficult to breathe. I was wheezing, basically, huffing and puffing and struggling. And there was a lot of pain at one of my incision sites. This lasted for about half an hour until the pain meds really kicked in and I started being able to breathe more easily.

Still, that experience, lying in the bed in a stupor, aware only of the pain and your inability to breathe? Not pleasant. I am SO glad I didn't go for bypass because that's a much more complicated surgery and I can imagine recovering from it is a lot worse. Plus, I'd still be in the hospital right now. And it would have cost $24,000. So, you know. I picked the lap-band when I still thought insurance would be paying, so cost wasn't a factor, but it's certainly a relief that my surgery was the less expensive option.

Anyway, the surgery itself went well, apparently--no complications, everything was simple and easy, and I was home by 1 p.m., at which point I tweeted that I had survived and collapsed into bed in a Vicodin + wearing-off anesthesia = extreme exhaustion haze. I woke up four hours later feeling better, but actually there's definitely more pain than last time.

I have five tiny incisions--three very small ones (judging by the fact that they only have band-aids on them) along my rib cage under my breasts, and two larger ones (assumption based on the gauze bandages covering them) above and to the sides of my belly button. Only the lower left incision hurts. Apparently that's where my port is--the thing that will be used to fill my band with saline solution. The pain is so bad that I can't lie on my left side, and I am still taking Vicodin instead of switching to Tylenol. Thank god Vicodin doesn't make me dizzy like Percocet did.

When I got home I hadn't eaten in about four days (and had lost about 11 pounds during that time), so I was really hungry, but it still took me about twenty minutes to eat a container of yogurt, and after that I wasn't hungry at all. Lap-bands don't create much restriction until they're filled, so I assume this has more to do with being post-surgery and medicated and not having eaten in so long that I have to ease back into it? But either way, I will take it. It would be awesome if I turned out to be one of those people who did have a bit of restriction pre-fill.

And that is sort of the crux of this whole thing. "If I were one of the people who." As in, everyone has a different experience with their band. Some can't eat at all post-surgery. Others can, and do, eat solid foods right away even though you really need not to do that because you can cause damage to your band, and your stomach, during the healing process. Some people need a lot of fills to reach restriction. Others need hardly any. Some people lose the weight really fast. Others are much more gradual. And the occasional person doesn't lose weight at all.

That last thing is what scares me a lot. I know that for some people, this surgery isn't the right fit, and I'm mostly confident that for me, it is the right fit. I also know that a lot of people who don't lose the weight with the surgery have things that need to change--their fill, or their eating habits, or their exercise habits. As they remind us over and over again, surgery is not a cure for obesity. It's a tool for weight-loss. You still have to make the effort, make the right choices. You have to walk the walk. And I absolutely will do that. So I know, rationally, that this surgery WILL work for me. But I'm still afraid that I'll be one of those exceptional people for whom the surgery doesn't work, and it will turn out to be a $10,000 mistake.

However, I do not have buyer's remorse at the moment. I feel OK, all things considered, and I think I can already feel some restriction, and I do think that it will work. I know that from the outside looking in it seems like of course it will work, of course it will be worth it. Because that's exactly how I felt when I read Erica's post-surgery freakout post last year where she was saying she wish she hadn't had the surgery. I knew that in a little while she'd feel better and then she would no longer wish that, even though at the time she couldn't see that.

The other thing that scares me is that because this is such a unique experience for each person, a lot of this is trial and error. As the dietitian told me when I was quizzing her on all sorts of things, such as exactly how long to wait between sips of water, "it's all one big experiment." Because it's not like I can see my stomach now. I can't look at it and tell that it's full and that if I eat anything else it will come back up. I have to do quite a bit of tracking and testing to make sure I'm doing it right.

And I know this will get better, I'll start getting in tune with my pouch and also, once the pain goes away it will be a lot easier to recognize those hungry and full feelings. Right now there's this pain in my stomach, and a small amount of nausea from the Vicodin, and mixing that with feelings of hunger and fullness makes it really hard to discern what my stomach is trying to tell me. And I know that will improve with time.

But still. No regrets, but wow was this a big thing to do. The surgery is over but everything that comes along with it is only just starting. I just keep trying to remind myself that it will be worth it in the end.

35 comments:

  1. I just started to read your blog a few weeks ago (clicked over from Swistle). I think you're a talented writer and I'm excited to read more from you. I also think you were very brave to have this surgery and I hope it works for you! It sounds like you have exactly the right attitude. Good luck recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad that the surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's interesting that the last paragraph said, "but wow this was a big thing to do!" I think that's what we've all been thinking, too, and it seems like you decided so fast! But I'm REALLY rooting for you. It's going to work, Jess. You knew this first few weeks would be confusing and hard so you just have to plow through.

    Hope you feel better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that, even if the surgery "doesn't work", knowing that you did everything possible would be some kind of compensation? I don't know. I mean, I'd be pissed if my $15K+ in IVF costs were for nothing, but on the other hand, I think I would have been glad to know I tried everything, and was able to move on as best I could. Lame comparison, but the only one I have.

    I think the full-after-yogurt thing might also be due to the fact that your stomach shrunk after days of eating essentially nothing? I'm glad you're already listening to your stomach's signals.

    Glad to hear everything turned out well! Hope the soreness goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only we all had hindsight before making decisions. I think a lot of us would make very different decisions in life. But, that's the thing. We don't have hindsight. And so, in your situation, you would never know if this surgery, this lifestyle decision, would work for you without trying. Even, in the small chance it doesn't work for you, I hope you don't regret it. Because you never would have known unless you tried. Be good to you during recovery, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad it went well and you're home recovering. I think you, m'dear, are amazing. And I just wanted to make sure you know that.

    Lots of love,
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad surgery went well. The pain and difficulty to breath was probably from the pressure in your abdomen from the gas they filled it with for the laparascopy. As someone who went through that alone in October, it SUCKS and you can feel it in your neck and shoulders a few days later. I found that the single best thing for it, even though I thought it was the stupidest, worst idea EVER at the time, was to walk, walk, and walk some more. Movement was the only thing that worked it through my body, though a massage therapist really helped my shoulder pain.

    Hope your recovery stays smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Jess! I'm glad everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited for you! This is such a huge step and I think you are going to have fabulous results. I can't wait to see where this takes you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm so glad you are home and doing okay. You can do this - I can tell you are already SO mindful about things and I know you are going to work this so it works for you. If that makes sense.

    I saw your message about the yogurt - I can get one brand of Greek Yogurt, Voskos, at Safeway. I really like the 2% if you don't mind a little fat. Also, Whole Foods has a bunch to choose from, including Fage, which is kind of the OG Greek Yogurt from what I understand. Some of them have a little honey or fruit included with them, but I just get the plain and add in whatever sounds good to me that day.

    Take care of yourself and let Torsten pamper you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're home and on the mend.

    I could never tolerate vicoden. The nausea was always worse to tolerate than the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so interesting and exciting. (That comment seems insufficient, but it's the true thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. **HUG** It's hard to imagine where you'll be a few months post-op when you've barely just had the surgery. Hang in there; I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you're feeling better already. Take it slow, let Torsten take care of you, and it will absolutely be worth it. I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope watching Natasha naked will help you with your recovery, otherwise, she just wasted her time :-)

    Sending you wishes for a fast recovery. I think I remember finding a position comfortable enough to sleep in was probably my worst part post-surgery, but that went away after a day or two. You have a wonderful husband and puppy to take care of you as well, so I am confident you'll be up and about in no time. Then, onto your new life :) Can't wait to hear about your experiences with food - it totally is going to a new experiment daily. I am a year and a half out and it still is an experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you made it through. Be gentle with yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jess,

    Congratulations on setting yourself up to have such a successful surgery.

    There is a great book by Dr. Kent Sasse, MD that supports some of the very reasons you chose to have your surgery as an outpatient. You might like to review it for yourself and for your readers.

    It's titled “Out Patient Weight Loss Surgery” and it also addresses before and after concerns to support a high rate of success. http://www.sasseguide.com/blog/dr-sasses-books/

    You probably got plenty of reading material from the Center in Denver, but if you are interested, I can send it to you for review at no charge.

    Kind regards,
    Niki Doering
    Austin, Tx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jess - this is a great post. You really wrote well about how you are feeling (physically and mentally) after your surgery.

    I hope this journey is smooth, but I think you have the right mindset for any potential bumps in the road. Now, go take a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you're home, and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better soon. Good luck. And I can't wait to continue to follow you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well! I wish you a speedy recovery and adjustment time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hang in there. The first two weeks after surgery are always weird. Your doped up, feeling new pain, then the anthesia wears off and you get more feeling back. Anyway, the pain killers may be killing your appetite, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It will be worth it - glad you're ok and back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry that you are in pain, but it WILL be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so glad that surgery went well! I hope recovery goes just as smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm just so glad to hear that the surgery went well. I really do believe you'll get the results you're hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hope you have a speedy recovery. So glad the surgery went well. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You'll make it work for you, I know you will! Feel better and recover soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Surgery of any kind freaks me out; I am so happy that you are OK.

    I am looking forward to reading about your journey from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad your surgery went well!

    (Just found you through Chelsea talks smack)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hope everything works out okay, Jess. And I hope your stitches start to feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so glad all went well - I'm cheering you on from Ohio and wishing you well with the next part.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm glad you're feeling OK and I bet that this WILL work great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am glad to hear the surgery went well and you're slowly on the road to recovery. get some rest!

    ReplyDelete