- My French host father called me yesterday to confirm that he, his wife, and the youngest of my three host siblings will be at the wedding. They officially bought their plane tickets and reserved the hotel room. I have been PLEADING with these people to come visit me in the U.S. for SEVEN YEARS. They always said they wouldn't come until the next president was elected (Bush is not very popular overseas, I've noticed), and then they promised that they'd come for my wedding. I'm pretty sure they did not think I'd get married at 24, but I THWARTED THEM. The wedding is THREE DAYS before the election. HA. Just kidding. But seriously, I am dying of excitement over this.
- Tons of other people I love and care about and haven't seen in ages will also be here for the wedding. Although, can I say that as far as visiting with old friends goes, a wedding is pretty much the most inconvenient time for someone to come to town? We will be frantically trying to take care of a million last-minute details, and meanwhile everyone that we love and want to see will be in town simultaneously, and only for three days. Seriously, if you want to spend some quality time with a friend? Pick any time OTHER than their wedding to visit them.
- Yesterday someone asked me when the wedding was, and for the first time in the year-plus that we've been engaged, when they heard the answer, they did NOT say, "Oh, so you still have plenty of time." Instead she said, "Wow, you seem calm." Implying that the wedding is close! Finally, somebody other than me feels that way!
- We found a purple guestbook! AND it holds Polaroids. In other words, it is PERFECT.
- I have an engaged friend! She came over this weekend and we got pedicures and watched 27 Dresses (terrible, terrible movie, by the way. Even for what it is. We could not keep our faces straight while we watched it. It was just too awful) and talked about wedding dresses and reception sites and all other sort of nonsense that nobody cares about but engaged people. And when she left, she took half of my wedding magazine collection with her. THANK GOD. That pile was getting out of control.
- And finally, one non-wedding-related thing: This weekend a college friend and I are driving to upstate New York to spend a weekend at a country house with two more of our besties from school. There will be board games, and grilling out, and sitting in the creek, and a fire, and lots of wine. This weekend has been two years in the making, and it is going to be AWESOME.
New Recipe: Greek Penne Pasta - This recipe sounded delicious to me when I came across it, and it turned out that it was. Also, I've reached the point with cooking where I can make a few ...
7 years ago