Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sisters

My sister is two and a half years older than me. I've posted about her before, briefly. We both live in the DC area and we get along very well. We haven't always, though. We never hated each other, but we fought a lot when we were younger. Stupid things like who got to sit in the front seat of the car or whatever. But we were definitely squabblers. I followed her around and she hated it. She bossed me around and I hated it. She always conned me into making trades that were extremely advantageous to her when we played Monopoly. I always got jealous that my friends wanted to hang out with her when they came over.


So no, I definitely wouldn't say that we were best friends growing up. But we were always sisters, we always had that shared understanding of our lives and families that only siblings can have. Still, though, when she left home, everybody was surprised at my reaction.

Though she's only two and a half years older than me, she was always four grades ahead of me because of when our birthdays fell and because she skipped a grade in elementary school. So when she left home, it was the beginning of my freshman year of high school. She was taking a year off before college and going to Spain to live with a host family. She left five days after her 17th birthday. The whole family came to the airport to see her off.

I had hurt my ankle that day at school and was on crutches. It was before September 11, so we were all allowed to go to the gate with her. The gate was very far away from the ticket counter. I had to speed along on my crutches, which I hadn't really learned how to use, and finally gave up and ended up walking on my bad ankle, using my crutches for support. It hurt for weeks after that.

When my sister said goodbye and turned to walk down the ramp to the plane, she cried. A lot. And so did I. I remember what she was wearing--black pants and a blue and white striped top. She had a pack of mint gum so that she could clear her ears on the plane, and before she left she gave me a stick. I sobbed. So did she, but she had more reason, because she was leaving everything. I didn't think she was particularly crying about leaving me. I still actually don't know if that was really a factor.

I cried and cried. I watched her walk away down the ramp, crying, and I cried more. I wanted to stay and watch her plane take off, something my family was not in the habit of doing. My parents were so shocked by the extent of my reaction that they allowed it. We sat in the seats by the window and stared at the plane until it left the gate about half an hour later. I cried the whole time. I cried way longer than my mother.

On the way home, I chewed the mint gum, which probably wasn't a good idea, because I was still sobbing. I almost choked on the gum. My mother made a comment about how she wasn't expecting me to be so upset and I cried so hard that I could barely even answer. When we got home, I wrote a really long journal entry about how traumatized I was. I had stopped crying when I began, but writing it made me cry some more.

The amazing thing was that my sister leaving home was what made us close. We talked every week while she was in Spain. I would waste time telling her about the latest baseball games. She wrote me emails--it was the first year I'd had an email account. When she got back, I had grown several inches and I had to bend over to hug her. We've been very good friends ever since.

20 comments:

  1. Aww, I love this! My sister and I are two years apart too.

    We are closer as adults than we were as kids, for sure. I think as kids we always tried to be different, but as adults we realize we are more alike than different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post as I, too, have a sister and even though there have been times in our lives where we weren't as close as we are now we were always sisters. Your picutres are adorable - especially the one where you both were younger. Thanks for sharig this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story! My sister and I have had our ups and downs over the years, but she truly is my best friend, even though she's four years younger than I am. I had a similar reaction when my brother left for college, though, which is strange, considering how we don't get along at ALL, but it was probably just because he was the first to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sisters. I think that's a relationship that is beyond any other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother and I are two years apart and we were terrible to each other growing up. We could pass each other in the halls at school and not even acknowledge each other.

    As soon as he went away to university, we started to like each other. What we need, even to this day, is to see each other in small doses to appreciate each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, sweet. I have a brother who is 5 years older than me and even though he used to beat up on me when i was a kid (he got his, too) we got very close when i was 15 or 16 and for that i am glad. he's one of my best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought it would when we were younger and fought all the time, but it's amazing how my sister has become my best friend.

    I loved this post, and you two are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to fight with my little brother so much that my dad still gets a little angry when he talks about it. But we're definitely good friends now.
    This was a lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice post. I have a brother 3 years younger, but no sisters. Having four girls, the relationship you have with your sister is what I hope for for all of my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember those weird, almost scratchy shiny pajamas a kids! My sisters and I all had them.

    Relationships with sisters are strange, aren't they? I am closer to both my sisters now, as adults. I think it really sunk in how much we understood each other when I left home (I am the oldest).

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, Jess! It's wonderful that you and your sister are so close, and I think the bossing and following around you two did is exactly what any pair of sisters does.

    I wish I could say I'm close with my sister, but as you know, we're still working on that. Maybe when she finally gets out of the house and goes to college.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me cry! It so could have been about my brother and me. Except I was the one leaving him behind when I was 19 and he was 16.

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes I think it takes something major to happen to realize how much a family member means to you. I have 2 brothers that I've come to admire and love very much because we became actual friends and not just siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It took me going away to college for my sister and I to become close, too. Actually, I think she enjoyed being rid of me for a little while and THEN she missed me. Now that she is in Africa I miss her TERRIBLY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a sweet story!! my brother and i are definitely squabblers and i can only hope that one day we'll become as close as you and your sis. though somehow, the bro-sis bond isn't the same as the sis-sis one...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you mean. My sister and I are only as close as we are because she moved away. And it was just as hard on me, I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so sweet :-) lovely post.. yay for sisters

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this, and the pictures are so great. Made me tear up a little!

    This gives me hope that my squabbling 8- and 6-year-old boys might be friends someday.

    ReplyDelete