Monday, January 25, 2010

Quotidian

Montana has clearly learned both conditions of being allowed on the couch. She was pretty quick to figure out that if the blanket is on the couch, that's her spot. And it only took one occasion where she jumped on the blanket without an invitation and got a very loud reprimand from both of us simultaneously for her to figure out that she can only get on the couch with an invitation.

So, her latest thing is to stand by the couch, looking hopeful, wagging her tail, and occasionally whining. If we then put the blanket on the couch and pat it, she sails on right away. Sometimes we don't respond to her pleading, though, and then she goes and lies in her bed in the corner of the room. Just so that she doesn't think that all she has to do is whine to get her way.

Still, though. Pretty much nothing makes me happier than being curled up on the couch with my husband and our dog. The two of them are pretty much my favorites in the world, and also the cutest in the world as far as I'm concerned. And all three of us fit on the couch perfectly. I love sitting there with my feet on Torsten's lap, watching the dog curled up and happily snoring between us.

I mean, really. Who could resist these two?


Seriously, sitting on the couch with them there next to me just makes me feel positively swollen with love. No matter whether we're chatting, reading, watching football, doing stuff on our computers... it just makes me feel cozy and happy and loving and loved. I could happily spend days curled up with the two of them.

What about you? What are the little daily moments in your life that you just can't get enough of?

16 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Give me my husband, a snuggle, the couch and maybe throw in the kitten. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curled up on the couch or in bed, reading a good book while the boy works on Physics homework. Bliss. Extra bliss if it's snowy and cold outside, which makes the scene all the more cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We recently had to un-teach something with SoMi. I had gotten accustomed to getting her up on the bed right before we leave in the morning (since that's where she tends to spend time when we're gone). However, she began associating it with us leaving, so not only would she get anxious about it in the morning, but she'd get anxious about it at night when we're getting ready for bed. I stopped making her get up on the bed in the AM and she's back to her normal self in the PM. It's amazing how easy it is to condition dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of the day is after dinner, before bathtime, when we're all upstairs and our daughter is playing in her kitchen or tackling us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a similar moment. The only time Olive can get on the couch is when J picks her up for "father daughter hug time." She gets to sit in his lap and curl up with him and it really is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Sometimes I can't even take it - it's like my heart stops for a beat or two because of the cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same as you. Curled up on the couch next to Jason, with Shorty on my lap and Abby and Sunny sprawled on the love seat across the room. All of us together in one cozy room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dogs curled up on the couch (especially if they're keeping my feet warm) is up there, that's for sure! Casco helps himself to the furniture, unfortunately - we didn't put rules into place b/c it was old and didn't matter, and honestly, I don't care. But I might when things are nice and new and clean...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just last night, my husband was allowing our 7 year olds to bathe our 3 year old (for the first time, and man is THIS an awesome stage to be in!), and he had "the game" on (something he never does) and I was on the bed beside him editing photos... and it was just perfect and cozy and right.

    I also love the very infrequent but oh-so-treasured luring of the big girls into my bed for an afternoon nap (me)/tv time (them). So cozy and snuggly and "just right". (Unless, you know, they are bickering. Then: NO).

    ReplyDelete
  9. sometimes bella worms under the covers and snuggles directly against my ribs in the morning. that's pretty nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every morning, like clockwork, at 5:30 a.m., Buster jumps up and snuggles at the end of the bed, and shortly after, Belle jumps up. The four of us snuggle, until it is time to get up at 6:30 a.m. It is our warm, safe little nest.

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great picture! And that sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so sweet.
    My favorite moment is when Jackson pads his little feet into my room and says "Mommy? Is it wake-wake time?" Melts my heart every time even when it's 6 am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm the same way but with our cat. One of my favorite things in the world is the few minutes before we fall asleep at night. I get all snuggled up spoony-like with Will and then the cat curls up and uses my legs as a pillow. It is cozy and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS. I love the new header and layout!

    ReplyDelete
  15. At my parents' house, I sometimes get one dog's head on one foot and the other dog's head on the other foot. Kissing with their noses. SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete