Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Small steps, big steps

Yesterday I had my first post-surgery fill, which I wrote about in great detail over at Not a Diet (hint: it was an unpleasant experience). And I also found out that I've lost 25 pounds according to my surgeon's Official Weight Loss Records (by which I mean, my chart). So I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Actually, I'm feeling pretty good in general. Even though I've lost 25 pounds, I've only lost a couple inches from all the usual places (hips, waist, chest). But my clothes fit better, and my face is noticeably thinner. I seem to be losing weight from there first. Which is fine. Good, really. My face was very round and my double chin made me very upset. I mean, it's still there and I'm not exactly in love with it these days, but it's not AS bad as it was, and that makes me feel better.

So yeah. It's just the beginning, but I find that I feel so much better about myself, and I seem to project that. Yesterday while I was walking the dog this guy who was power-washing the street stopped to hit on me. And yes, I'm happily married, and no, I'm not looking for a hot fling with a Denver Water employee, but still. It felt good.

Here's the thing about being hit on by random guys: this has happened to me at every weight, and I've never been thin. It just goes to show, you don't have to look like a model to get hit on by strangers. I think they are more drawn to the way you carry yourself, and the attitude you project.

And that's the thing. I didn't really feel any different, and I was just wearing jeans and a casual tank top, and I wasn't strutting or anything--in fact, I was carrying a bag of dog poop, AND the bag was one of those clear newspaper bags, so you could clearly SEE the dog poop--but I'm just feeling good recently, and apparently it shows just in the way I walk down the street.

And, speaking of walking down the street, I've been walking at least an hour pretty much every day, and the distance that I travel during that hour has vastly increased. I'm walking faster. I'm feeling fitter. I have much more of a can-do attitude. I was excited about the hike we went on this weekend, even if I didn't love the steep part. And I'm excited to go on more hikes on future weekends, even if they involve steep parts too. And I'm actually LOOKING FORWARD to joining the gym, and taking water aerobics classes, and other classes too.

I still have a long way to go--I'm still nervous about the idea of riding a bike, for example--but this is a really fantastic start.

36 comments:

  1. You can feel your confidence through your words! Congratulations on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too cute. Congrats on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you are doing awesome. Your confidence is apparent in your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. COngrats on your progress! And I agree with you 100% about not having to be a model to get hit on by strangers. I never had trouble getting a date when I was single and I've NEVER been thin. I agree, all in the attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled over here from another blog and just wanted to tell you congratulations on your progress! I also love your curly hair. Your blog is very interesting and I will definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! This just makes me smile. I love that feeling, when things are going well and you just feel GOOD about yourself - it makes me smile to know you're feeling that way.

    Keep it up!

    (oh, and happily married, sure - but there is just about NO ego boost equal to being hit on at random. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay you! Glad you are feeling better and doing so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You get on with your bad self hot mama! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Also, if you feel comfortable sharing, pictures pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great! So pleased that you're happy with how things are going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great. Happy! And I hope you love water aerobics (and get a good instructor). Attitude really is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy for you, Jess! It sounds as if things are going fabulously (minus the fill part).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude, 25 pounds already! That's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm feeling your good vibes through the screen :)

    So great, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats! you should document all the weight loss in pictures (and then start sharing them on the blog when you feel comfortable)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, 25 lbs is fantastic! I read your other blog, and I'm wondering how they know when your pouch is full enough since it varies for each person.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the progress! 25 pounds in a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! Are you excited about your progress?!!!

    You are so right - people are usually attracted to you based on the way you carry yourself. SO - love yourself no matter what! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I forgot to comment on the fact that you hiked! ~3 weeks after surgery! Wow!

    Congratulations on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you are so right... i usually get hit on MORE when i'm in a relationship, because it tends to help the ol' confidence when you've got a nice boy telling you how pretty you are often, even if it IS their job as your boyfriend :-)

    25 lbs is AWESOME. well done you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't deal with the medical posts about the fill(s) (I'm a wuss), so I appreciate that you separate them out from the overall progress posts.

    So glad you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's wonderful to hear you sounding so confident. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this post! You sound so happy and positive! (although, inevitably, someone will probably complain about you sounding positive, right? :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jess, you are really inspirational. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. congrats on losing 25 pounds! and being hit on always feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. YAY! Congrats on your first 25 pounds! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Way to Go! I can 'hear' your happiness and that makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's fantastic! All of it - weight loss, feeling better, getting hit on, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction - so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I totally agree with you that it doesn't matter your size to be hit on.

    Oh and I hate my chins. Even at my thinest I still have a slight line telling me the 2nd chin never left and may come back 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  32. *sigh* A bike for me is next on the list of 'major purchases' according to my husband. I used to love biking....when I was young and relatively unaware of the pain it caused to my, um, lady parts. Now that I've given birth twice, I'm looking forward to it even less!

    I'm so happy to hear about your progress though - that's exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete