Monday, April 27, 2009

Living the grown-up life

So, my mom is in town for a visit, which started off fabulously when I looked on the American Airlines website at 1 p.m. to see if her 3 p.m. flight was on time, only to discover that the 3 p.m. flight was actually a 1:15 p.m. flight, and we live half an hour from the airport. Awesomely, at the time Torsten was out running errands with the car, so I called him all in a panic being like, COME HOME RIGHT NOW THIS SECOND OMG.

Luckily, I made it to the airport only about ten minutes after my mom had found the baggage claim, and her bag had only just arrived when I got there, so it ended up not being an issue. And then we had a lovely weekend together, involving a walk with the dog in the park, bowling, sushi, grilling, a fire (in the fireplace), and ooooh SHOPPING LOTS OF SHOPPING. But all with gift cards. I only spent $10 in actual cash on myself. And I came home with a purple paring knife (even the BLADE is purple), two new king-size pillows, a king-size mattress pad, the CUTEST set of outdoor dinner plates, dryer balls, and purple clothes hangers. Plus a Christmas present for my mother and another for my father. Yes, I know it's April, but their birthday presents have already been dealt with for the year, and Christmas is the next real gift-giving holiday, and these things are perfect for them and will still be in December.

Ooo, and speaking of Christmas, we're trying to figure out a way to celebrate it here in Denver this year. I think we're going to be able to make it work. This is awesome because it means we only have to fly cross-country (and board the dog) once over the holidays, for Thanksgiving, and also because it means that we get to have a holiday in our house! Like it's a real house that real things happen in! And we get to host our first holiday like grown-ups! Hopefully by then we'll have our dining room set, but really, who knows, and the one we have now will do in a pinch.

I'm already thinking about hanging stockings over our fireplace, and where we'll set up the Christmas tree (in the bay window in the living room, I think)--and oo, it can be a big Christmas tree this year because it's a big house and we have room for it! And we can cook all the food in the kitchen, and Montana can experience her first family holiday, which I really think she'll like because it involves food and lots of people in the house and general hustle and bustle, which is interesting for a nosy dog like her to observe.

Of course, I shouldn't get too excited because the details haven't all been worked out yet, but oh, I think it's going to happen and I am quite excited. And it's great having my mom here and I can't wait to have more guests. Because we have ROOM for them! No air mattresses or giving up office space or living room space so that the guests can sleep. And she can have privacy! And her own bathroom. Oh, it's like we're GROWN-UPS or something. I can't even deal.

17 comments:

  1. How awesome! Ooh shopping and holidays! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep, messing up flight times is the WORST. (Spoken as someone who mis-remembered her own flight home last night and ended up SPRINTING through the Denver airport to make her flight after the longest security line in the history of the world. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee! We wanted to celebrate xmas in CO so badly when we bought our first house too. Both sets of parents, however, would have none of that. Here's hoping your parents are more flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EVERY TIME I see purple stuff, I think of you! When I was shopping for a suitcase, I saw one in TOTAL PURPLE: not eggplant, not a sort of greyish purple, but PURP.LE.

    Also saw a bunch of plastic stuff (mixing bowls, large pouring measuring cups) in purple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't even experienced spring yet so I can't really get excited about Christmas. :-)

    I'm glad you are enjoying your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is so awesome being a homeowner! glad to see youre enjoying it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, i have never in the history of my LIFE managed to buy xmas presents more than a month before i had to give them. i'm.. um.. not a planner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Giiiiirrrrrrl, you've got to slow down a few paces. You JUST moved into your new home. Have fun living in it (not that you're not) and let the Christmas planning wait until, oh I don't know, November!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha - I sent pics of a house we're considering buying to a friend today and her first comment was that it looked like a proper grown-up house! We've hosted Christmas once and it was great, almost entirely stress free. I'd love to repeat that this year in our very own house.

    I'm sure that with a dog that needs kenneling when you go away and a house that you want to show off, your parents will be up for this. Also, the new home shopping sounds fun. I'm very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! The first real holiday in a new house is so much fun. Welcome to "grown up land." lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so cute to see new homeowners! I've totally been there before and it's so much fun, isn't it? Have fun planning! (P.S. I love dryer balls!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for being a grown up. It sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since you are on top of things, will you get to shopping for the people on my list?

    ReplyDelete
  14. On one hand, "yay!"

    On the other hand, "OMG STOP TALKING ABOUT THE HOLIDAYS BECAUSE TIME IS GOING TOO QUICKLY AND YOU'RE MAKING MY BRAIN QUIVER."

    But mostly the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have my own little fantasies about having holidays at my house (like a grown-up!), but I'm a lot further away from it actually happening, despite having about 5 years on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't that a great feeling? We're going to be hosting something at our place around Christmastime this year too and I can hardly wait.
    Plus, the house we'll be renting has a two-bedroom suite in the basement so our guests get lots of privacy (and we do too)! yay!

    ReplyDelete