Friday, February 6, 2009

It's starting to sink in.

Last night, Torsten and I took a break from our hectic pre-move social schedule and stayed home and did... nothing (unless baking brownies from a mix counts as something, and considering that it takes three minutes of labor, I don't think so).

We didn't pack. We didn't deal with logistics. We didn't plan anything. We just... were. And it was lovely.

The Lakers-Celtics game was on TV, so I lay on the couch half-watching the game and half-reading the new issue of Glamour, while Torsten watched the game and rubbed my leg. Despite the fact that our walls and shelves are bare and we were surrounded by boxes, it was lovely and peaceful and calming. It made me think about all the lovely years of domesticity stretching ahead of us, most of them in our own house. It was a happy image, and I can't believe how soon it's going to happen.

Only recently, I've been realizing that my sense of timing has not been on par with the actual passage of time. What's happened is that we keep saying that we'll do X or Y in one year, or two years, and not on a specific date. So time moves forward, and I keep thinking to myself that we'll do something in one or two years, so it's like the planned time period never arrives.

For example, before we got married we decided we'd start thinking about getting pregnant in about a year and a half. So that's what I've been telling myself, and other people too, and then I realized that you know what? A year and a half is now just a year. And yes, maybe in a few months we'll move to Denver, but now a few months is next week. (OMG.)

And that's exciting. All this stuff that we are really looking forward to, but in a vague far-off sort of way... it's happening, and not that long from now. And in the meantime we still get to enjoy everything we already have, not the least of which involves having few responsibilities and lots of time to spend quietly with each other.

I'm just so EXCITED about Denver. I'm excited about working from home, with Torsten. I'm excited about living in such a great city in such a great location. I'm excited about the weather, and the downtown area, and the nice people, and the mountains and parks and lakes, and the great home prices. I'm excited that in just a few weeks we will have a dog, and that in hopefully not too long we'll have a house and then a baby. I'm excited about where we are now and I'm excited about where we're going to be.

I'm excited about the new routine, and the chance to build more activity into it. I wrote about that over at Not a Diet (so go read!), and it's really exciting to me how close we will be to so many lovely outdoorsy things to do. I have not been the biggest nature lover in the past, but I love being outside, and walking, and especially walking a dog. I still don't think I'll ever love camping, but I am all about getting outside and moving around, as long as I have a nice home with a soft bed to come home to at night.

I still can hardly believe that it's all really happening. I can't believe that it's close enough that we can start making appointments to view places to live. I can't believe that in a week and a day we will be loading up the moving truck and the Civic and beginning the long drive. I can't believe that we can start looking at houses TO BUY whenever we feel like it. It's so LIBERATING. I can't even get over how delighted I am.

28 comments:

  1. It is a lot of fun when things you dream about your whole life...really start to unfold and happen!

    So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound really peaceful :)

    I am so excited about the awesome pictures you will no doubt be taking in Colorado! yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez Jess - you are way too positive. Why do you act like your life is perfect?
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Obviously, I am JOKING. OMg, some of your commenters are driving me batty.

    For real, I'm excited for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so SICK and TIRED of you ALWAYS being so UPBEAT about everything. It's INTOLERABLE. Why are you always such Little Miss Perfect Life? GET OVER YOURSELF.

    Hee!

    I love, too, when things I've been planning start HAPPENING. I think it's one of the advantages to being a Planner: you get the fun of thinking things out ahead of time AND the fun of thinking them out at the actual time.

    Babies are particularly exciting to me. I remember when we had one child and I was going along thinking, "Well, about a 2.5-year spacing, so that's in like 2.5 years," and then suddenly realized NO, a pregnancy is NINE MONTHS LONG and our child was WELL OVER A YEAR OLD and it was ALMOST GO TIME. Same when we were planning a third pregnancy, and first it was "in a few more months, when we have health insurance again," and then suddenly it was UPON US. Fun fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting!

    ...and how can the person who complains about your complaining find fault in a post that ends with you marveling at how delighted you are? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I have not been the biggest nature lover in the past" - translation: "Nature is what windows were made for"

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can sense your excitement in this post!! I am so happy for you as you move toward these incredibly exciting times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so wonderfully exciting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A thought about recent posts and comments:

    I think it's rarely if ever prudent to post a negative comment on someone's blog, especially someone with an obvious large base of friends and supporters such as yourself. Even if the comment is justified, the most obvious achievement will only be to make the commenter look like a jerk.

    There are plenty of decent human beings in the world who just aren't bound to like each other, and outside the blogosphere you would rarely need to worry about it (unless you were forced to work together or something). So the logic of "just don't read the blog" does make sense - you wouldn't go out to dinner with someone you don't like, either.

    On the other hand, in real life it's not kosher to talk about yourself non-stop in a public forum. While it's a bit silly to call a blogger self-centered (since the very act of starting a blog is a bit vain - it's inherent in the form, but all of us bloggers have accepted that and moved on), it's also unreasonable to automatically label any negative commenter as a complete loser. If you're going to talk about yourself where anyone can see it, you're going to be read by some people who disagree with and/or dislike you, and sometimes that is going to boil over into a comment. I think the best thing to do is to take the comment with the obvious grain of salt (probably many grains of salt), but not disregard it completely, and not to blithely just attack the commenter.

    Also consider that the commenter achieved something: she instigated your posting of a completely positive, bubbly, and upbeat entry. Whether or not you profess to be affected by her comment, you can't deny that you will probably think about it every time you post anything negative, at least for the next few weeks, and it will almost definitely color your writing and make you more thoughtful about how you frame things.

    Denver sounds really wonderful; I hope to visit there someday soon, and I completely understand your desire to move away from DC - two years there was about all I could take before moving back to more rural Central PA, where my hubby and I plan to make our permanent home and raise our family, sans dog, plus cat.

    So that's my two cents. Have a nice life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, this is such a fun time of life for you guys. Everything in front of you... I can't wait to see what adventures Denver does hold for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. But Jess, are you EXCITED about anything? Show some emotion, darlin'.

    Personally, I think you two are very brave to be doing this. I've lived in the same city most of my life, and the thought of packing up everything and moving across the country...uh, not gonna happen. I'm too big of a chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are totally going to love living in the west with all the mountains and the fun stuff to do. I am so jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This move is so great for you guys on so many levels. I can't wait until you get to Denver, so you must be beyond excited!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All those big life goals of ours have a way of sneaking up on us. I can't remember if I've already made a similar comment this week, but it's a little like Christmas. For the longest time, it's months away and then suddenly, it's next week and there are still presents left to buy and baking left to do and friends left to see!
    Does this feel a bit like the beginning of Real Life for you? I know I always felt like after my husband graduated and we moved, bought a house and started a family, it would be so....grown up. And it does and for the most part, I love it!

    Enjoy your last week in DC, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO SOOOOON NOW! i feel a little guilty taking up one of your few nights left here... but hopefully it will uber chill and stress free, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am excited for you!! This is such a fantastic place--emotionally, physically, etc--to be, I love you all the more for it.

    And now I can love you 2,000 miles closer when you move to DENVER! Squee!

    (Yes, I'm still excited about this.)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. Just over a week. How crazy is that? So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like having concrete timing for things. When my husband said he wanted to go to Disney with the kids next year, I immediately shut down because that is just too far away to do something so fun.
    Your new adventure sounds great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really excited for you guys, and a little envious that you get to work from home with your hubby. That's my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cannot wait til you guys start house hunting. There are lots of baby blogs to fill that void for me but house hunting? Soooo rare. And you guys will be first timers like I will, One Day. Please blog ad nauseum about that subject when it arrives. I intend to live vicariously through you two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad you're relishing the future as it's very bright indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Denver sounds lovely! parks and lakes and mountains... is it easier to get out of the city or will you be living near the countryside? it is fun to dream about new places.

    ReplyDelete
  23. yay! i'm so excited for you! i'll be in Denver mid June for a wedding and I've been looking at places there and it's so beautiful! I'm sure you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wait to watch the transition from DC Lady In The City to Denver Mommy Blogger = D

    You guys have so much ahead of you, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so excited for you! I live in the Pacific NW, but I have been to Denver and it is such a great place to visit/live. My sister has lived there for 10+ years. We have visited many times and there is so much to do and see there, and the sunshine...it is beautiful.Cannot wait for your move and all the fun and exciting things u will post. Have a safe trip and maybe we'll see you someday in Denver!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh it makes me want to see you both on an episode of "House Hunters" in 6 months searching for that perfect place in Denver. Then they come back in 3 months and see the progress of the home you picked and I just know it will involve this adorable pooch and a pregnant belly. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete