Monday, May 12, 2008

Ways I have changed him

Last week a few of you asked to hear about ways that I have changed Torsten. Obviously I had to consult him on this. So I give you our combined thoughts on how he has changed since meeting me:
  • He doesn't panic as easily. His reactions to things are a bit more in proportion to the severity of the thing.
  • He is healthier. He eats lots of home-cooked Weight Watchers meals, drinks less beer, and consumes fewer desserts.
  • He is less easily grossed out. He is still paranoid (in a good way) about cleanliness, but he's not as fussy about little things being in perfect order. He will even kill bugs. And if I sit on the bed in what he calls "my street clothes," the sheets no longer have to be changed immediately.
  • He stands up for himself more. He is still incredibly nice and thoughtful and puts other people ahead of himself, but no longer will he do so to his own detriment. If he thinks he deserves a raise, he'll ask for it. If someone is doing something that's negatively affecting him or me, he'll tell them so.
  • He's better groomed. He gets his hair cut more often, and he buys new undershirts regularly. He wears jeans that I pick out for him instead of his old Levi's. (I view this as a positive. He does not.)
  • He works much less. His job used to be the main thing in his life, and he would be at the office until very late at night and back again early in the morning. Now, unless he has a major deadline, he is home by 7 p.m., and he pretty much never works on weekends.
  • He is more flexible. He's more willing to let people drink from his glass, and if we have to go somewhere he doesn't want to go on a Friday night, it doesn't ruin his whole weekend.
  • He likes baseball. Specifically, the Red Sox. He had never watched it before he met me.
  • He is happier than he has ever been.

34 comments:

  1. The two of you are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lets other people drink from his glass thing made me laugh. My husband is freakishly weird about other people (meaning me and the kids) drinking from the same water bottle or glass and eating off the same fork, or even eating food with our own fork from the same area where someone else took a bite with theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made him a Red Sox fan! Nice work, Jess.

    Oh, and the other emotional growth issues are nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Street clothes on the bed! I've never heard of such an aversion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't usually hear about boys starting to like sports when they meet girls - isn't it the other way around most times? Anyhoodle, can't blame him for cheering for my NEW HOME TOWN team. Ahem.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You couldn't sit on the bed in your street clothes? Wow, well then we would have been washing sheets daily for me. I come in and fall all over the bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! You've changed him for the better too, clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of an aversion to "street clothes" on the bed before. I'm assuming he means regular everyday clothes as opposed to pajamas. (?)

    He probably would be very much opposed to the idea of, say, letting a dog jump on the bed. And even snuggle with a human or two (in street clothes no less!) in the process.

    We like to live on the edge around here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The grooming thing is sort of ironic. Aaron is also better groomed, which is the opposite of how people allege the married thing works. The dude is supposed to get grosser. I won't be having none of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous list! Because it's not like you're asking for and expecting major change. You've softened him up a bit (though not necessarily around the middle - ha). You two are so well matched - yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw, the last one is the best one :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was sweet, and very romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, that's so sweet. He sounds happier and healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, my husband is much better groomed since meeting me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great ways that you have changed him...definitely beneficial to both of you, I'm sure. And it's not like you have changed him in ways that are changing him, because you would like them better but changes that are good for both of you. I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neat post. My husband has changed me quite a bit (for the better) but I'm not sure how much I've changed him :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. guys always start to look better when they have a woman in their lives. it's the girly touch that makes them more well groomed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Baseball is BIG - Go you! All guys I date must have that love but now I see I can turn them onto it if they dont.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So, so sweet! I love the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it. Especially that you turned him into a baseball fan. I am trying really hard to do that to AS!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I believe that last one should go on your resume.

    Just kidding. You guys sound cute.

    And what are the ways that Torsten has changed you?

    ReplyDelete
  22. hee, i love this list. and the clarification about the jeans :-) and MY GOODNESS the sheets one!! i'm far, FAR too lazy to let things like that bother me. it would require LAUNDRY, which does not mesh with "sit around being lazy."

    ReplyDelete
  23. I ADORE the German-ness of his wanting to change the sheets after you "soiled" them with your street clothes. That's hilarious - and completely brings back memories of my german roommate in France.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You two are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perhaps it's an American thing not to worry too much about the grodyness of sheets and worry more about body hygiene? Because I've heard that about Europeans- changing sheets every day, but only showering a couple times a week, say. I guess either way works. If you're not sleeping on dirty sheets at night, maybe you wouldn't need a shower!
    When I lived at home and did my own laundry, my sheets were lucky to be changed once a month. Now that makes me sick, but there you have it. Don't tell Torsten.
    Also, Jim is much better groomed now that we're together, too. I think he's getting progressively better looking the longer we're together, and I am getting more tired looking and fat due to baby-having. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That last line made me go "awwwwwwwwww" super loudly

    ReplyDelete
  27. #1 is for Jason as well. His reaction to minor things used to be "Cranked to 11," but he's getting better; it's a work in progress.

    This was so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  28. And who said a woman can't change a man! That is so sweet. You guys seem really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. let's all do one collective "awwwwwwww."

    plus, if you got him to like baseball... well, your job is done!

    ReplyDelete
  30. so he was more weird about cleinleness but less worried about grooming before you? wow that's a weird combination...

    ReplyDelete
  31. how sweet. you two are the perfect complement to one another!

    ReplyDelete