Friday, March 28, 2008

Dear everybody

Dear Curly Haired Readers,

We all know that I am a big fan of curly hair. And if you are one of the many who mentioned that you are going to try out my Miracle Product, I salute you. I wish you the best. But I feel compelled to warn you. A friend of mine with wavy/curly hair once asked me to do her hair to make it look like mine. So we took her through the exact same process that I go through every day.

(If you're curious: Wash and condition your hair. Wring it out and comb it. Squirt a quarter-size dollop of Miracle Product in your palm. Rub palms together. Rake them through your hair. Bend over at the waist and scrunch your upside-down hair with a small towel, preferably not a fluffy one. Stand up straight and do a bit more scrunching. Do not touch again for the rest of the day.)

And the hair, it looked... well, it wasn't awful. But it certainly wasn't Miraculous. It was very disappointing.

So I'm just warning you. It's the Miracle Product for me. And I hope it will be for you too. But the same way that foams and creams and serums don't work for me, the Miracle Product might not work for you. And please, if you try it, let me know whether it was Miraculous for you too.

Love,
Your partner in curls


Dear Groundhog Day,

What is your point? Why do you exist? The two outcomes are either an early winter OR six more weeks of winter. Meaning that there should never be more than six weeks of winter after February 2, right? But here we are at the end of March and it is STILL WINTER. What is the DEAL?

Sourly,
The girl who has still not recovered from her birthday weekend snowstorm


Dear Weight Watchers,

I love you again. For awhile I was struggling, feeling like I had hit a plateau and not knowing how to keep moving forward. And I was grumpy that I couldn't just shove whatever I liked into my mouth. But then I snapped back into it, started a diet journal on Swistle's recommendation, and am pressing forward again. And I feel better. And I'm not focusing on numbers anymore. Or the wedding. I'm so glad I found a wedding dress that can be altered as much as necessary, and was able to order it in a size that will fit me even if I don't lose any more weight, so I don't have to worry. The focus is back on health. Thanks for forcing me back on track.

Gratefully,
Your newly re-devoted member


Dear Bakeries We Are Visiting This Weekend,

Please, please, please tell me that your wedding cake is as good as everyone says. And that you can make a purple wedding cake. One that is really, truly purple (at least on the outside). And doesn't cost $20 per slice.

Droolingly,
A cake-tasting novice


Dear Friday,

I love you. Thank you for arriving so quickly this week.

Signed,
Your sleep-deprived devotee

45 comments:

  1. You are just too cute! Happy Friday and best of luck cake shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a curly haired reader reading your last post about Miracle Product, I experienced real hesitancy "buying in" to your praise. Not that it doesn't work for you. But, as you said, I have tried so many products claiming to be the resolve to my hair issues and they never were. So, thank you for the warning. I think I'll stick to my current routine, which seems to be working well.

    You'll have to let me know what you learn from the bakeries. We're going CHEAP on our wedding cake, but I'm sure we could take a few pointers on what to ask for and what to look out for! Thanks!

    Have a great weekend - I love me some Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friday really DID come quick this week. SO Thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun cake tasting and good luck!

    We were lucky - my hometown in Wisconsin has amazing/cheap bakeries and our entire cake was $250.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jess,
    Have a good weekend. Enjoy the cake.
    Love,
    PR

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck with your cake tasting, and have a happy, sleep-filled weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "parter in curls" - love it.

    happy friday jess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can't quite say that friday came QUICKLY this week, but i AM sure glad it's here, nonetheless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen. Glad it's friday! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these letters.

    However, I DO NOT love the continued winter weather. WTF, spring? Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Winter is L A M E ! ! !

    And AMEN to Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodluck with your purple cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with you on groundhogs day! What is the freakin' point?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am tempted to just pretend I am getting married so I can go on those cake tasting expeditions. Sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am tempted to just pretend I am getting married so I can go on those cake tasting expeditions. Sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sizzle, what you have to do is find a friend who is getting married and then volunteer to do anything you can... like how about looking up bakeries?

    It worked for me (well, kind of; I was visiting a friend a few months before her wedding and she suggested cake tasting). Seriously, cake tasting: big fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spring? Oh, Spring? Where the heck are you? It snowed here yesterday. We didn't get snow all winter, then "spring" comes around and BAM! We got snow. Is that fair?

    I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wha? You mean if I try your miracle product, my straight hair won't turn long, curly and shiny?

    I call shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm. Wedding cake tryouts are the best. Have an extra piece for me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Next year come to Arizona for your birthday. It's been clear and sunny and not like living in an oven since October. Alas, we will go back to oven bake temps soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It made me laugh that the weight watchers letter and the letter to the bakery were back to back. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hehe, great letters.

    Have a great weekend cake hunting!

    From a very rainy and winter-y Athens.

    ReplyDelete
  23. great post! as i curly haired woman who recently had a tryst with weight watchers - or "ww" (they think they're so slick) - i really appreciate this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A purple cake - awesome! I hope it works out.

    And ditto on the Note to Friday. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Friday, INDEED. And: Could you even BE a better writer? I find myself nodding along with everything you say, grinning like a fool or smothering chuckles of delighted amusement.

    Dear Jess, your blog makes me happy. Signed: Your cheesy commenter, who has just decided to post as ANONYMOUS for purposes of avoiding embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks for stopping by! mind if i add you to my blogroll?

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have SUCH a great point about hair products not working for everyone. I have hair that will go either way (curly or straight both with frizz) so when I read about your miracle product I thought, "hmm, I should try that". So, last night I did a test on my currently FRIED hair from a stupid idea straightening creme system I did about two months ago and my hair? Stayed a limp fried piece of crap that I have been dealing with for the past two months now. I will have to try your miracle product once I have my real hair back :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. I should say I did a test with my old system (my husband's hair gel..ha ha).

    Oh and I just LOVE those letters.

    Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. and wrap up the week with letters. Nice. Love the last one.

    All the best for cake hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I LOVE LETTERS. That is all.

    Oh, HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

    ReplyDelete
  31. From one WW devotee to another: Wedding cake points, especially when they're for your wedding, don't count! Seriously, have fun and I hope you find the perfect cake!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Jess,
    I don't have curly hair but I think you're just so darn cute for making sure that people know you are not GUARANTEEING them anything. This is why I read your blog.

    Have a great weekend!
    xoxo

    Kiraa

    ReplyDelete
  33. ahhh... i'm totally off plan for WW lately.. AND I NEEEEED TO FOCUS MORE. congrats on re-committing to the health and not the numbers. cuz those numbers are killing me right now. ughhh!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was fun! It was like reading in on secret pen-pal letters!

    And I think you need to do a giveaway on your blawg here with the prize being the miracle product.

    And rig it so I win.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your letters were a delicious post-lunch treat for a weather-cross pregnant mama in her third trimester, which is not a time known for being rich with treats.

    I am rooting for you and the 1.50 a slice purple cake...perhaps someone can spray it, no?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Have a great weekend!

    I really wish wedding cake here was more like wedding cake there- we're other a bit behind the 8-ball in terms of flavours and fillings. Chocolate mud, chocolate fudge or vanilla is about the extent of it. I looove reading about people's tasting experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love these letters! Especially the groundhog day letter because really, what is the point?

    ReplyDelete
  38. To be honest, the idea of a purple-on-the-inside wedding cake scares me a little.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Can't wait to hear how the cake testing went!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm here, I'm here! I was visiting family, and then I got sick and then work piled up.. ugh. Finally able to catch up on blogs - I've missed so much!

    Also, Dear Friday indeed. Please come back.

    ReplyDelete
  41. my hair never stays curly! my stylist had to blowdry my waves in when i went on friday but perchance your friend has the same kind of hair i do?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hmm - I might try your miracle product, but I am currently in love with Graham Webb's Making Waves. It is lovely and makes my hair lovelier. :)

    ReplyDelete