Monday, September 24, 2007

I've been interviewed by Type (little) a.

This weekend, Torsten and I took Friday off and drove up to Massachusetts to visit some friends at my alma mater. I lured Torsten up there in part by promises of pretty leaves changing colours in a charming New England fall. Unfortunately, only about two trees complied and so someone was grumpy about having to drive seven hours each way just to see the boring green kind of tree. But still, he got to meet a lot of my old friends he hadn't met yet but had heard a lot about, and we stopped in NYC on the way there and the way back and he got to go to the Carnegie Deli, his favourite restaurant in the entire world. (By the way, I highly recommend this place as the best Jewish deli ever, but it's a bit touristy. The best way to avoid the crowd is to go there at 1:00 a.m. on a weekday. They're open 'til 4:00 a.m. every day of the year, and it's super nice and peaceful at night. And screw getting eight hours of sleep, anyway.)

We got back last night around 11:00 p.m. and I checked my RSS feeds--only to discover that there are nearly 100 new posts waiting for my attention. I almost feel guilty devoting time to writing my own post when I have so many of your posts to read. But I asked Type (little) a to interview me, and now I have five questions to answer.

The rules, taken verbatim from Type (little) a's post: Leave me a comment saying “Interview me.” I will respond by emailing you or leaving a comment with five questions. I get to pick the questions. If you don’t have a valid email address on your blog, please provide one. You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Okay. Here are my five questions and answers. Like the rules say, leave a comment if you want to be interviewed, and I'll send you your questions.

1. What did you want to be when you grew up? How close/far is it to what you're doing now?
I wanted to be a writer starting from the age of about five. I never really specified what kind of writer I wanted to be, but I had in my mind mostly fiction and poetry, I think. Now I am a writer/editor, mostly for the web, all non-fiction. Still, not too far off.

2. Do you have any sore spots that you don't laugh at/make fun of?
Yes, just one--my weight. My health is too serious and personal for any jokes to be funny. Although I don't think I know anyone who does this to me--at least not since I went through a couple of rough years of teasing back in elementary school.

3. You crack a fortune cookie and it reads, "Your dearest wish will come true." What is it?
This will never happen to me because I am one of those people who abuses wishes. I would spend forever trying to calculate exactly how to phrase my wish in order to get the maximum benefit from it. And this is assuming that the wish-granter would be able to see through my insistence that my dearest wish was for more wishes. Anyway, I would probably wind up torn between something really unselfish like world peace, no more poverty, etc., or something totally self-obsessed. As far as dearest wishes for me personally, it would probably be something like excellent health and safety for me and everyone I care about.

4. Let's say you had a LARGE amount of money to give away. We're talking make a difference money. Where would you give it and why?
This is a tough one, because there are so many causes to care about. I would have to do research to figure out exactly where money is most needed to make a difference, but I would probably give it to something to do with curing and preventing HIV/AIDS. When I was ten, one of my uncles died of AIDS, so it's a really personal and important thing for me.

5. If money/jobs/family were no object, where would you live?
San Francisco. No question.

Okay, your turn. Comment and I will interview you. And when you're commenting to ask me to interview you, if you want to tell me about your weekend, I'd love to hear.

8 comments:

  1. Why San Francisco? I love hearing about why people love a certain location, because then it makes me wonder if I too want to live there because I'm always itching to move (seriously, it's a disease). Those questions were difficult, in my opinion. Well done with the answer though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, your questions were hard.

    I'm with flibberty, why SF?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, i want to hear why SF too. although i guess you covered it a little in that post about why you two are west coast folk.

    am super impressed you are doing what you wanted to do when you were growing up. i wanted to be a part time doctor / part time garbage collector, and so far i've yet to reach EITHER of those goals.

    ps: haaaaa it was "limosine HUMMER site". one of my gfs had a bday party which involved a hummer limo one year, and oddly i still get a lot of traffic about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to be a veterinarian until our vet let me sit in on a surgery when I was about 12. Yeah, SO not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also curious about SF.

    And Carnegie Deli - mmm. I live not too far from there but every time I want to go it is packed. Now I know to try 1am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these questions do require a bit of thought. And on a Monday?!

    I love, love, love SF. You seem like a SF sort of gal.

    This weekend was the first in, oh, about nine weekends, that I could finally just sit on my ass. So I did a lot of that, while reading "The Bourne Identity." Thriller fluff. Great combo! And, I did a lot of baking, too, as Fall has descended upon us suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, those questions sound familiar :)

    I like your answers better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops - I'd meant to be asked to be interviewed, too! (Great way to cheat writer's block!)

    ReplyDelete