Friday, July 23, 2010

My very last jet plane. This year, anyway.

This afternoon I'm flying to DC for a 12-day trip. I won't actually be in DC the whole time--tomorrow morning I'm driving down to North Carolina with my sister and her family to visit my parents--but I will be gone for a full 12 days. Torsten is not coming with me.

Maybe it's just the pregnancy hormones, but I am super sad about this. It just so many days far away from him. And I am very much looking forward to visiting my family in NC--I haven't been there since last Thanksgiving--but I wish Torsten were coming too.

I'll be in DC for a week after we leave North Carolina, for work, and I'm trying to pack my social calendar full, and I'm doing a pretty good job. Unfortunately the majority of my DC friends have moved away, so there's only a few of them left, but I have dinners and lunches planned with several of them, and of course my sister lives there and I'll be staying with her on the weekend so that will be excellent too.

But I'm just remembering my last trip, when I was gone for 10 days, and only five of those were without Torsten, and yet by the end I was done and really really REALLY wanted to go home, and I'm a little worried that the same thing will happen this time, except that I'm more emotionally fragile this time around, plus the trip is longer, plus Torsten won't be there for any of it.

Seriously, the emotions? They are a mess. I thought this was supposed to be more of a first trimester thing? But a couple nights ago Torsten and I were chatting and he made a joke, a JOKE, a joke that I normally would have LAUGHED at because it was FUNNY, and instead... well, instead I cried, and felt very upset, and then Torsten felt guilty. And I knew, I knew as it was happening that it was not normally something that would have made me upset, and that it was just the hormones getting to me, but, well, that did not stop the weeping.

WEEPING. At a JOKE.

So yes, I am definitely emotionally fragile these days, and also? I think I might have the beginnings of a linea nigra. I noticed it this morning when I was getting dressed. It's very, very faint, and nobody glancing at my belly would ever notice it, but if you look closely you can see the faintest dark line that starts just below my belly button, just slightly left of center, and runs all the way down my abdomen.

But! On the plus side, I get to visit my family, and see my friends, and 12 days isn't THAT long, and also this is the last trip I have planned for a long time, definitely until after I give birth (because Thanksgiving and Christmas are too close to my due date for me to feel comfortable flying, so we will be sticking around Denver for the holidays), and then I will get all the Husband Time I need, so really, this is just one last trip and it should be fun which is why I planned it in the first place. So really I'm just being a baby about the whole thing, and I'm sure it'll turn out great and fly by.

Also, I won't really be alone. At least Piglet will be with me. That's definitely something, right?

21 comments:

  1. Have a great trip. With email and skype and all that, I think you'll be fine. Everyone will be gushing over your baby bump... be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm pregnant I often start out laughing and then suddenly I'm crying. What on EARTH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll have a great time in DC! However, I didn't like to be away from my husband either when I was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you guys have video chat capabilities? My brother and I get on GChat all the time and while he's not exactly my husband, it is nice to see his face and facial expressions when we talk. Maybe having a chance to have that kind of time with Torsten will help with your almost 2-week trip.

    Safe travels, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Nilsa's idea. Or if you have an iPhone that Facetime app? My cousin has had to take a couple of trips away from his wife and newborn and raves about it!

    I know that CP is wary of how emotional I am going to get when pregnant. All you can do is cry/laugh about it now and know why it is happening. I'm sure Torsten understands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your trip goes well, darling!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. ditto what everyone said but alsoa weird question ... why would this be your very last jet plane this year?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hormonal weepiness knows no trimester bounds. My poor husband never knew when the tears would strike. Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linea negra appearance this early: Wives' tales indicate GIRL. :)

    (it was right for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where-abouts in NC? That's where I live :) You'll probably be down here while I'm having my gastric bypass surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skype is your friend, or one of the other options mentioned. Enjoy your trip! And stay cool, because it's hella hot here on the Eastern seaboard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait until your belly button pops out! :-)

    Have a good/safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, you will have fun. It's so hard emotionally to be pregnant - I went to San Diego for work at 21 weeks and it was SO HARD. It was to be for 8 days and I was a WRECK beforehand, even calling home when I got there sobbing to my husband... when I'd been basking in the sunshine just 20 minutes earlier. The hell?

    Once I'd settled in it was totally fine - great, actually! I was definitely excited to get home, but I had a lot of fun too. I'm sure that it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh and just wait until you get back... Promise, Torsten won't be able to believe the baby bump then! It always seems so SHOCKING after you've been apart for a bit, even if it hasn't grown that much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a fantastic trip. And remember we're all here for you to offer support and laughs while you're away! Also, your friends and family that you visit are going to absolutely shower you and Piglet with love, which will be wonderful! I hope it ends up being a really positive experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I hope that all the visiting and knowing this might be your last trip by yourself for some time will keep you occupied and happy. Live it up!

    I do hope you have fun and don't feel lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This part>And I knew, I knew as it was happening that it was not normally something that would have made me upset, and that it was just the hormones getting to me, but, well, that did not stop the weeping.
    ...
    that pretty much sums up all my pregnancies, plus post partum exeperiences. It's a bumpy ride sometimes!
    I do hope you enjoy the trip though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aaaah, pregnancy emotions. Like Swistle, when I am pregnant, I can start off laughing about something, and then all of the sudden, I am crying.

    The trip will be hard, but try to enjoy the alone time. It's something you won't see much of once Piglet comes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh gosh, yes. Half the time it's like happy, I'm-just-so-touched type crying, but I cry all the time when I'm preggo. I'm not much of a crier normally (generally it happens precisely once a month, the day before my period) so it always weirds me out to be so tearful!

    ReplyDelete