So, now I don't have a gift for him, except possibly one little tiny thing, but that's OK, because he's aware of it and we will spend some time this weekend playing Rock Band to remind him of the present. That will just have to be good enough.
But the question is... what to do on the birthday itself? We have made plans for a late dinner at a highly recommended restaurant that we haven't tried before. We plan to drive to a Denver suburb in the morning to purchase a birthday cake at a German bakery and maybe have some brunch.
But... what in between? I thought maybe some sort of relaxing spa day, like a massage? But he's not so into that. Is this a guy thing? Even the suggestion of just hanging out in a spa hot tub for awhile didn't seem to appeal to him.
Suggestions of taking a day trip into the mountains, taking a day trip to Boulder, taking a day trip to Colorado Springs... all shot down.
So far, the front runner seems to involve lazing around at home. Which... well, there's nothing wrong with that, but weekend birthdays don't happen all that often and we do a lot of lazing about at home on regular weekends. So it would be nice to do something a bit different for his birthday.
Edited to add: Some of the comments are making me realize that I need to clarify: this isn't about me. Torsten actually wants to go out and do something special on his birthday. He just doesn't know what that would be. I am not going to drag him kicking and screaming out of the house on his birthday to do what I want.
So, I put it to you. What should we do to celebrate his birthday? We have a few parameters:
- We don't want to spend a whole ton of money but it would be OK to spend a little to do something fun/special.
- SOMEONE doesn't want to drive more than an hour or so away. And as it is SOMEONE'S birthday, he gets to choose.
- Apparently it has to be manly (no massages, and I'm guessing this means pedicures are out of the question as well).
- Must be relaxing (as in, not busy-making or overscheduled).
- So much the better if it involves beer.