Monday, March 9, 2009

We went walking, again.

Well, we had a lovely weekend with our dog. On Saturday we went for a six-mile walk (hike? But flat) at Barr Lake, north of the city. We were planning to do the full 8.8-mile lake perimeter walk, but part of it turned out to be a wildlife refuge with no pets allowed, so we had to go halfway and then double back.

Still, we had a great time, and it was lovely, and when we got back Montana was so tired that she lay down to eat her dinner, which was pretty much totally adorable.

Torsten, as usual these days, manned the camera. Full set here.





Yesterday was much more peaceful, although we are totally turning into those people who bring our dog with us everywhere. But she is just so mellow and well-trained that it's no problem to have her. For example, yesterday we went to lunch at a restaurant with an outdoor patio, and tied her leash to the table leg, and she lay quietly without begging for food or getting up during the entire meal. As a reward (well, not really, but so that she could run around and just be a dog for awhile), we took her to a dog park and watched her slowly learn to play with the other dogs. She had a good time, though I think things will go better once she's a little more sure of herself and of the fact that we are not going to leave her.

Also yesterday, we booked a weekend trip to a nearby hot springs as a birthday present for me. This was recommended by Artemisia, and I am seriously looking forward to it. I've never been to a hot springs before, but isn't that the point of living in Colorado? Or at least one of the points? And, as further evidence of how we take our dog with us everywhere, the hotel we booked allows pets, and Montana will be coming with us.

Our first time boarding her will be when we go to Germany in May. I think when we come back from that trip and pick her up, that may be the moment when it gets cemented in her head that we are her forever family. After all, she was with that prison training program, and happy, for two months, but that didn't turn out to be her forever home, so it might take her awhile to realize that this is it, here with us.

Oh, and also this weekend? UNC beat Duke. If that isn't the perfect way to cap off the perfect weekend, I don't know what is.

21 comments:

  1. I really, really want a dog. You are too lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just perfect! We went to see a dog on Saturday [we said yes to her!]and now I am checking my email every two minutes for them to reply with the next steps. I am so glad that you two found suck a lovely doggie =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of her and you at the lake is too cute. She will be a well loved dog, and is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds great!! Love the picture of her taking in the scenery with you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that photo of you and Montana. You both look so happy and it warms my heart to know that she found her forever home with you and Torsten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Montana is adorable! And rescued animals are even mroe loving and trusting once they learn that trust than ones bought from breedrs. I love our dog and I know he loves us back but the rescued cat we used to have showed a level of trust and thankfulness that was amazing. You will have so many years of happiness with this pet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I know you have been working and getting into a normal Colorado groove, but to me it still seems like you are on an extended vacation. I guess there are worse things in life than that! Your happiness is infectious, and I love to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture of you and Montana! She's all 'this is the life!' hee hee.

    Our dogs are always exhausted when I first start taking them for mile-long walks in the spring (but they are small dogs) then as they get used to it, even two miles won't wear them down!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh neat, a lake! I've never been there myself.

    I'm glad you take the dog everywhere with you. Have fun at the springs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg, so jealous of the hot springs! i mean, not that i've ever been to one personally, but i'm jealous you get to try them :-)

    she is such a good dog!! makes me think everyone should get their dogs from a prison program..!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures are great. Montana seems like the perfect dog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We took our dog everywhere in Denver too- just like everyone else. :-)

    A good kennel is B & B for DOG in Aurora (on Potomac Street). Our dog LOVED it there- they are really nice and depending on where you live, easy to drop off the dog and then pick her up from the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is such a good pup! She has a GREAT forever family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. People who take their dog everywhere make people like me, who can't have a dog right now, EXTREMELY happy because we get to see and smile at and pet your awesome dog.

    And I think I neglected to comment on the last post about Montana, so I'll mention here that she's adorable and I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the walk around Barr lake; we've only managed to do it in the winter and it's still beautiful. Did you guys see any ducks/geese?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your weekend sound idyllic! I'm feeling more relaxed just reading about it.

    And I usually call them walks if they're flat and hikes if they're not. Unless they require going up to a trailhead in the mountains, and then I call it a hike either way. Very complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how I wish to have a dog like that. We love our dog, but taking him anywhere is far from relaxing. H

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is so cute! I love how she's looking out at the water in that one pic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm about to invade your state for a couple of months.

    Know any hot hippies who would want to show me around??

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't even want a dog, but yours sounds perfect enough that it ALMOST makes me consider one. (Almost.)

    ReplyDelete