Friday, February 9, 2007

Really cool architecture

The American Institute of Architects recently posted the results of their America's Favorite Architecture poll150 American structures that are, for the most part, very cool. Surprisingly, both my favourite and my least favourite (based solely on the pictures) are both Disney structures. My favourite is number 99 on the list, the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles:


I know very little about acoustics, but I bet the acoustics in there are amazing, or at the very least different.

My least favourite is number 70, the Dolphin and Swan Hotels at Disney World in Orlando:


This is just a hideous pink and green building (although I guess that's appropriate for Florida, where that colour combination seems to be very popular).

And my other favourite (or second favourite, honourable mention, whatever you want to call it) is number 41, the Hearst Residence of Hearst Castle in San Simeon, California:


Notably, the Hearst Residence was designed by Julia Morgan, the first woman accepted to the Ecole des Beaux-Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment