Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Exhaustion

I am tired. This weekend was relaxing in pretty much no way, and now it's the workweek again and oh, god.

There are boxes everywhere and while THINKING about how nice it will be when everything is put away and the boxes are gone is lovely, the idea of actually DOING everything required to make that happen is very daunting. The couch is set up, and we have a mattress to sleep on, and desks to work on... so really, is it so bad to spend our lives surrounded by boxes? At least there's room in this lovely house for all of them to sit around and still leave room for us to walk.

Our king size mattress arrived yesterday, and oh, the sleep that I had on it was glorious. I could spread out my elbows without stabbing Torsten in the back! I could sprawl semi-diagonally without pushing one or both of us to the edge of the bed! Oh, it was amazing. And I was so tired, I needed it.

And actually, I find it easier to wake up in this house, I think because it's so much sunnier. It's just so cheerful. And I am trying to focus on things like that, like the amazingness of the house and the beauty of the yard and oh, the windows and the kitchen and the basement and the garage and the lovely floors and the brand new washer and dryer that we got for a great price.

Because if I don't focus on that great stuff, then I start thinking about all the nitpicky little things that we need to deal with. Not just the big stuff like, um, replacing the siding? But like, a lot of the doors don't have doorstops, and a couple of the bathrooms don't have towel racks, and we can't just put them up because we don't know where the studs are, so we need to hire a handyman to install them, but first we need to buy them.

And a couple of the bathrooms also don't have toilet paper holders, so we went to Lowe's and bought the little stand holders, but we still need to put them together. And one of the bathrooms doesn't have a shower curtain rod, so we need to figure that situation out. But it hardly matters because our shower curtains are still hanging in the bathrooms at our old apartment.

And speaking of which, we brought over most of our dry food but we have yet to transfer the contents of our refrigerator, so we have basically nothing with which to make a reasonable meal in our house. But by the time we're done with work and walking the dog and maybe unpacking a bit and also dealing with a ton of logistical stuff like coordinating eight thousand deliveries, ordering firewood (oh and we still have to assemble the wood rack and preferably soon, because there's a cord of wood lying in our driveway right now), changing our address with everyone and their mom's boyfriend's dog, and running an errand (usually to Lowe's, because OMG they have everything we need, if only we could afford it all, but tonight I think we'll mix it up and go to Bed Bath & Beyond instead)... well, the planned trip to the apartment to haul a bunch of leftover stuff up and down the stairs is pretty much the least appealing thing either of us can envision.

And the grill we ordered arrived, but it has to be assembled, even though Lowe's would have done that for free, because if they had done it for free then it wouldn't have fit in our car and we would have had to pay $80 for them to deliver it, and that just didn't seem worth it. And we need to get some blinds for a couple of windows because the ones we have are basically worthless--they let 90% of the light through--so that will involve measuring and ordering and the spending of more money.

Do you see why I'm exhausted? And thinking about my to-do list is NOT helping me relax. So instead, we'll think about the CSA share we just purchased. The first box of produce arrives tomorrow.

25 comments:

  1. Oh, you've tired me out just reading that! I find that writing things down helps; that way it's not floating about in your head as you try to remember details. I had a list of dimensions in my purse for a LONG time so that if I happened upon a deal for curtains or rugs or WHATEVER I could take advantage.

    Hang in there, you'll make it through. I'm sure that working from home and having it all RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU is not helpful, but you'll get there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is a bitch...especially in the city!

    When I moved into my lovely circa-1915 row home in Baltimore, I had to remove windows and rig pulley systems to get the furniture in...

    Anyway, congrats again on the new house! Being a homeowner is great...I would recommend this route to anyone whose willing to stay in one place for at least five years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least your produce arrives soon! Ours doesn't start until May 11. Waaaah!

    Take everything one day at a time. If you're going to live in this house for years and years and years, then there's plenty of time to pay attention to the details. No need to overwhelm yourself with all of it today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound exhausting! moving is such a hassle, but setting up the house is a much bigger one! I moved into my teensy apartment FOUR MONTHS AGO and i still haven't entirely unpacked. Its kind of pathetic.

    One little tidbit of unsolicited advice: If you want to find the studs you can knock on the walls! It sounds hollow where there aren't any studs and more solid where the studs actually are. Or you can get one of those gadgets that you run along the wall and it beeps when you reach a stud. I think Home Depot would have something like that.

    I hope you enjoy your new home and Denver! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the "buy a stud finder" comment. They're cheap - Under $20. Much cheaper than a handyman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad I'm not in Colorado. I love assembling/installing things. If you bought me a case of beer, I could happily spend all day putting together your grill, installing toilet paper holders, and so on. Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup - I am in the stud finder fan club too. Don't waste money on a handyman for something that small! You will need this gadget more than you realize. Pictures, shelves, hooks, etc. This is the one we have:

    http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDL190S-Auto-Leveling-Combination/dp/B000B8LLH2/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not that I am a home expert or anything, but buying a stud finder at Home Depot will be way more cost effective than hiring a handyman. And also, then you'll have it for when you want to start hanging art or photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All this sounds exhausting but SO exciting! Congrats! It will settle down soon and I'm so jealous about the CSA! I wish there was something close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! A studfinder! Which is also good for the making of many moving-related tension-reducing Stud Finder jokes!

    I hope you can speed up to the fun part, where things are mostly put away and you're thinking about where the hang pictures and where to put plants and arranging the kitchen appliances just so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. can you break it up into little tiny tasks throughout the day? whenever i work from home, i try to get as many chores done as possible, so i'll work on one project, then take a 10 min break to unload the dishwasher and clean up breakfast, then get back to work. could you work, put together the firewood rack, work, unload a box, work, etc?

    also - i second the stud finder. totally easy to use (and they have them at lowes!) and much cheaper than hiring a handyman :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sort of love/hate moving into a new house. There is so much to do! It's overwhelming! But also awesome, because it is YOUR new place and the organizer bug in me gets to go haywire deciding where everything should go.

    Almost 1 year later, and we still have a few boxes to unpack. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moving sucks! I am not jealous. I hate that feeling of things left undone, but based on everything you've already done, I bet you blow through it all. And if you don't, that's okay because you've got the rest of your life in that house! Yay!

    Oh and thanks for the info on the CSA, I'm totally doing it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang gena! That's crazy! Hopefully over the next few weeks things calm down a bit!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah. Moving is so much fun isn't it?
    At least you were able to find "the house" before you were pregnant or had kids, because that would have made the move even more of a pain in the ass.
    PS - you can buy stud finders at bLowe's too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS2 - I just saw that I'm the millionth person to tell you about a stud finder. sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a lot of work but hell you have a new house! :)

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, I hate moving. Hopefully a few more restful nights sleep on your new mattress and you will feel more like tackling the seemingly never-ending to-do list of a home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband put together our new grill from Lowes last week. An hour and a half on Thurs, an hour and a half on Fri and about 10 minutes Saturday. According to the instructions: Assembly time: 45 minutes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Save money on the handyman, go to Home Depot and buy a stud finder. Putting up towel racks is simple!

    YAY for the CSA! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I know! Give yourself time, seriously, and don't try too much to look at the big picture. I freak out when I start doing the "everywhere I look, something needs doing!" routine. Baby steps ... you guys are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i don't think exhausted sums it up enough! moving SUCKS, i feel your pain. congrats on moving into the new house though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We moved several times before we bought our house. In each new place, I felt weird and disoriented and wished to be at the time when the place would feel comfortable and familiar. When we moved to our house, we had tons of frantic activity such as you describe---but also it was such a good feeling to be Home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're getting CSA stuff already? That seems so early but what a fun treat to look forward to every week.

    I think I saw some light-blocking blinds on sale at Penneys a few days ago....

    So many little things to take care of when you're already exhausted can be...um, yeah, exhausting. How nice that you're in your long-term home now so you have lots of time to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete