Anyway! Two months to go! Much preparation! All sorts of fun things! I wouldn't say that I'm nesting, per se, but I have been very efficient recently. Stuff that's been going on:
- The nursery is pretty much all set up. The crib mattress arrived yesterday. All the other furniture is in place. We're ordering the blinds this weekend. We need to get a couple more things--a mattress cover, a crib skirt--and wash a few things and hang the art and then it will be done! Complete, and ready to show off. And you guys, not to brag, but it is AWESOME. It came together SO well and I love it SO much. It is probably my favorite room in the house. (It is definitely Montana's favorite room in the house.)
- We did the baby safety class last night. Now we are all set on infant CPR, babyproofing, SIDS prevention, and so on. The number one goal of parenting is not to kill the child, right? (Is anyone else thinking of that scene from Sex and the City where Steve chickens out about taking care of the baby while Miranda is in Atlantic City, and she says to him, "Look, we're both afraid we're going to kill the baby. That's a given. But we made an agreement this week. Monday to Friday, I try not to kill him. Saturday and Sunday, you try not to kill him"? No? Just me?) ANYWAY, this class helped us make great strides in our hopes that we will, in fact, NOT kill our baby. So that's something.
- We scheduled a family photo shoot for mid-December. Call it maternity photos, call it what you want--we're hoping for some lovely photos of us, the dog, and the belly, all with an outdoor Colorado backdrop. Yes, we may freeze at Red Rocks in December. The damn pictures better be worth it. Luckily, Piglet has a nice amniotic sac to keep him warm.
- I have had my eye on a specific diaper bag for weeks. This thing normally retails from $45 to $55 (the price seems to fluctuate). Then last week I noticed that it was on super sale at Macy's for Veterans Day. It was $30! And my mom had, and generously allowed me to use, a coupon for $10 off $30. So I ended up getting it for $28, including tax and shipping, instead of the $50 I'd been thinking we'd have to pay. And you guys, this BAG. It has clips so you can hang it from the stroller handles where it will actually be accessible. It closes with a magnet so you can open it one-handed. It has all sorts of convenient pockets, including some that are insulated for holding bottles. It comes with a folding changing pad. It is GLORIOUS. And yes, I am HAPPY to be at a point in my life where I get so excited over a diaper bag.
- We selected a pediatrician practice and interviewed them over the phone. Then I noticed that their website said that expectant parents should call to schedule a "prenatal visit"--a tour plus Q&A with one of their doctors. When I called several weeks ago, I was informed that they were already booked solid until after my due date. This did not make me so thrilled about how easy it will be to get appointments with them--though they did insist that it is easy and always will be--so I was thinking about just sort of crashing one of the tours and hoping they wouldn't send us away, just to get more of a feel for them. But then I called back a few days ago to see if there had been any cancellations, and they decided to schedule extra dates to accommodate demand, and gave us our first choice of time slots. So now we are booked in for a tour that we will not, in fact, have to crash.
- We have what should be our final ultrasound (the last follow-up on the kidney non-issue, plus a chance for them to make sure Piglet is growing on schedule, which they like to do for lap-band patients at 32 weeks anyway) on Monday. I'm looking forward to it! But it is more than a little crazy that this will likely be the last time we see him until he is BORN.