Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday Retrospective! Let's talk bad decisions.

I have almost no regrets. I don't read much into that--I know some people think it means you're strong, or lucky, or perfectly happy in your life, and maybe all three of those things are true for me to some extent. But really I just think it's chaos theory. If you're miserable then maybe you'd have regrets because you'd wish to be in another place in your life, you know? But in my case I'm really happy with where I am so even if there are things that I would have done differently at the time, I wouldn't go back and change them because they helped me get to where I am today and be the person I am.

Still, I have definitely made some poor decisions in my life. Let's see. In no particular order:

1. Getting into a long-distance relationship with a camp boyfriend early in high school. We hardly knew each other, really. And what a waste of time and energy that was. Long distance is hard enough if you're really committed and have an end date for the distance, you know? But when you're 15 and have no idea if you'll ever be near each other, and know for sure that if you are it won't be for another four years? No, no, no.

2. Not traveling more when I was living in Africa. I wouldn't call this a bad decision exactly, because it was made more due to necessity than due to a lack of desire. I wanted to travel to countries in southern Africa and I was living in northwestern Africa, and that kind of trip wasn't easy or cheap, and I was a poor student. Still, though. It would have been great if I had found a way to make it work, because well, I was already there, I was independent, the timing was perfect. And now I'm dying to go to South Africa and Kenya and Tanzania. But hey, Torsten wants to go to those places too, and it will be fun to go with him.

3. OK, not to be superficial but in middle school I had this heinous pink sweatshirt that I wore Every. Single. Day. What was I thinking and why did my parents allow it? Although, it did work out well one year when we were supposed to write generic descriptions of friends we'd like to have, and then we looked at them all and matched up people who seemed to be looking for each other, and then it was unveiled who was who? And my best friend and I rigged it so that we'd be matched up, and one of the descriptors she used was the pink sweatshirt. We were STEALTHY, huh?

4. Not asserting myself more in high school. I went to the same tiny school my entire life, and by the time we got to high school everyone knew each other way too well, or at least thought they did. It was pretty hard to break out of the mold you'd settled in at the age of eight, and dating felt incestuous. By the time I was in high school there was all these different groups of friends and I didn't really fit into any of them, and I felt so AWKWARD about it. I didn't understand at the time that most people thought of me as "the smart one," or didn't think about me at all. I assumed that not thinking about me was the same as thinking bad things about me, when in reality I could have been a lot closer with multiple people if I had just MADE them think about me.

5. Not opening a high-yield savings account when I graduated from college and sold my car. I ended up spending a lot of that money because I wasn't really earning enough money to pay my expenses (ah, the joys of entry-level positions at DC nonprofits), even with 10 hours of babysitting a week. But in the meantime, before I spent it all, I could have made what would have amounted to quite a bit of spare cash at the time. It would have afforded me a few days off from babysitting, at the very least.

6. Relatedly, not studying more finance and economics in college. I've always been drawn to economics but I only took one econ class in college, and nothing on finance. But I do think all that stuff is so interesting, both micro and macro. And I absolutely love learning about economic markets, and especially emerging markets. I think it's so interesting to look at African economic markets, for example, and how people in Africa spend their money and how the fact that an incredibly large proportion of the population in most African countries are under the age of 15 impacts spending habits and overall economies. I find this stuff fascinating and intuitive and it would be nice to have a bit more of an academic or at least theoretical/historical perspective to apply to all of it.

7. OMG, speaking of bad fashion choices, wearing cut-off too-big men's shorts all summer when I was 14 or 15. And also, OVERALLS in middle school. I cringe just thinking about it.

What about you? Do you have regrets? Or at least poor decisions in your past?

28 comments:

  1. Great post. I, too, don't have a ton of regrets -- I agree with it being dwelling in the negative. I tend to see the glass half full.

    My BIGGEST regret? Letting my sister and mom talk me into getting my hair cut so short I looked like a boy when I was in 7th grade. It took forever to grow out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kristen- great post. I don't have any regrets, but I've made some bad choices too.

    1.) Thinking of myself as being 'medium' when in fact I was thin! I should have taken advantage of that!

    2.) Staying with The Jerk for so long. My college experience could have been so different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My biggest regret....probably not asserting myself enough in high school...not appreciating myself...

    It is so amusing to me...I'm larger than I have ever been, yet I attract more men than ever! It is truly about confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I only have two regrets (and neither of them are all that bad).

    First, I wished I spent a semester abroad in college. Sure, you don't take school quite as seriously as you do at your home college (though, that's assuming an awful lot about what I did in school!), but the out-of-school experiences in a foreign country are irreplaceable!

    Second, I wish I never moved into my sorority house my senior year. I gave up a single room in the dorms (I was an RA) for a smaller room that I had to share with three other girls. By the end of that year, I was barely talking to any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, boys? And other boys? SIGH. The amount of time I have spent wrapped up in totally-not-worth-it boys is horrifying, and yet I feel I will have to give it its own acknowledgment if I am ever to sucessfully write a YA novel. So there is that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't fit into the various groups in high school, either. Awkward indeed!

    I have no regrets, because every decision led me to where I am today. Bad decisions? Sure, plenty of them. But they were all for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, so many bad decisions! but again, no regrets, because i like where i am. like, i'm tempted to regret the karl situation, but i can't even bring myself to do that because it still taught me how much i was capable of loving someone, and how i should hold out for that again.

    bad decisions in general, though: the man-sized flannel, from highschool. thinking that being coated in sand during a beach tournament would act as a barrier to the sun, and thus not reapplying sunscreen. most earrings that i chose to wear from 7th - 12th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. That horrible perm I got after my dad died (think Carrot Top).

    2. Not enjoying the time I had with people before they left.

    I have very few regrets because each path/decision moved me along in my journey. But damn, that perm was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Post! It sounds like you and I had very similar High School experiences. I, too, had a hard time breaking out of the typecast I was put in.

    My only regret? That I passed up some experiences because of fear, tiredness, or laziness.

    Otherwise, I'm a firm believer that you should live with no regrets. I wouldn't be the person I am today sitting here if it wern't for every experience I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That list of regrets is pretty manageable. I have mine too, and try not to dwell on them too much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great question! I really don't have many regrets, because I, too, believe that everything happens for a reason and shapes who you are.

    BUT! Starting from 10th grade on, I wish I had focused more on my education. I've always gotten good grades without really trying. So if I had actually tried harder, who knows what I'd be doing now? And I wish I'd been more aggressive seeking out scholarships. Now that I work in higher ed, I see how many are out there, untapped. I'd owe much less in student loans!

    Also wish I'd been more careful in the sun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I regret not kissing someone I met at a wedding because I was dating someone else at the time. I found out soon after that the guy I was dating was seeing other people and that the guy at the wedding was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't do regrets. I make decisions and never look back. Some sort of effed up coping mechanism, I suppose.

    Bad decision on my part though? Spending too much time during my senior year of high school, skipping classes and school all together--I didn't graduate with my class in June. Instead, I went to summer school and graduated in August.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I regret not enjoying my hot body while I had it and spending waaaay too much time thinking I was fat. Dumb. Ass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really fit in any particular groups too. Highschool is annoying but the good thing is I have a few best friends that stick with me even until now.

    ps. I so get what you mean by overalls. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've made a lot of bad decisions, but I don't necessarily regret any of them. I've learned so much from all of my experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm surprised that so many people can say that they have no regrets.

    I have a lot. But that doesn't mean that I'm not happy with where I am in my life. Things are great. Now. But I regret many, many of the decisions that I made that made getting to this point so difficult.

    And as a parent, I regret ever moment I am too hard on my kids. Kids really beat humility into you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't have a ton of regrets.

    One that stands out is when, in my early twenties, I decides to cut my hair SHORT.

    You've seen my thick, curly hair. You can imagine what a delight it was in the growing-out stages.

    Blerg.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you expecting me to confess to the summer I spent wearing men's boxers as SHORTS, accompanied by sawed-off (a la Flashdance) t-shirts? Is that what you want? Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Most of my regrets center around high school too, with the bad fashion decisions. I shudder to think lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great post idea!

    I'd say I "regret" cutting my jeans so much. We used to do that in order for them to hang over our shoes but COME ON that's destroying perfectly good pants. Buy some boot cut jeans, 16-year-old Jennie!

    Also, not saving more money and not traveling more before Kyle was born and not napping more often either (although I'll admit I napped quite a lot). Just the usual "regrets." Things I don't think I'd ever feel fully satisfied by even if I could change, you know. Meaning, I don't think I'll ever feel totally financially secure or that I've traveled enough. And MAN OH MAN I know I'll never feel like I've slept enough, either.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Life's too short to dwell on regrets but like everyone I have a few. My biggest regret was not forcing my children to be more independent, this definitely keeps biting me in the ass now...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad I went to law school because of Mr. A, but I wish I had chosen another career.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh great I was just talking with somebody about how I can't afford to travel more while in Kenya. Is it worth going into debt about?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like to think about life that same way--that there's no point bemoaning what you should have or shouldn't have done, because everything has led you to where you are. For everything you gain, you lose something else. For everything you lose, you gain something else. (I read that somewhere once, but I don't remember who said it.)

    That said, I have the same regret as you about my study abroad experience. I was trying not to spend too much money, but I wish I had traveled more than I did! And I totally wish I would have saved more money my first few years out of college. I was living dirt cheap with a roommate; where did all my money go??

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the pink sweatshirt story. I used to wear this black windbreaker all the time--it was like my only light jacket--and when I look at pictures from that era, they are all in this damn windbreaker. I want to go back and set myself straight!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Poor decisions = almost every haircut I ever had between grades 5 and 9. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh! Taking two years out between school and uni to fight with and cry over a useless boy when I could have been travelling the world (which I really wanted to do but he was needy, grr).

    And _many_ fashion crimes. I was not good at choosing clothes in my teens.

    ReplyDelete