Friday, April 3, 2009

Surgery seminar and follow-up

So, last night Torsten and I went to a seminar at a bariatric surgery center of excellence here in Denver. It was very informative. I knew most of the information already from the research I'd done, but it was good to hear it from someone who's been there, and be able to ask questions and do a closer comparison of the two main types of surgery.

It was also very good for Torsten, who is incredibly supportive but hadn't done as much research. We both really liked the sound of everything, and it seems like this may really be a viable option for me. The newer type of surgery, called lap-band, seems to be the option that makes the most sense. It's not malabsorptive, which means that it takes longer to lose the weight because you absorb all of the calories you eat, unlike gastric bypass--but the flip side of that is that you don't have quite as many restrictions on what types of food you can eat, and you don't have to worry about vitamin deficiencies.

The surgery is less invasive and less expensive, and it's reversible if there are any complications, and the long-term weight-loss outlook is the same. It just makes more sense. Of course, I haven't made any final decisions, but that's definitely the direction I'm leaning in.

I've scheduled a consultation with the surgeon for next week. At the same time, I'll meet with a nutritionist and a psychologist, and discuss my insurance plan in more detail with the office.

And oh, speaking of the insurance? I'm a little pissed about this. My company has put an exclusion on weight-loss treatment of any kind on their insurance policy. As in, the insurance would cover it, but the company has opted not to allow it. Which is a little horrifying considering that a big thing that we work on is obesity prevention, and yet we don't even offer our own employees assistance of any kind with losing weight? It's not just the surgery that's not covered--it's any kind of medical weight-loss intervention.

There is an exception to the inclusion, though, and it almost makes it worse. If you have a condition that contributes to your weight problem, THEN the surgery will be covered. In other words, if you can't be BLAMED for being overweight, then they'll help you. But if they think you could just man up and eat less, then no help for you! It's putting weight-loss surgery, and other weight-loss programs, on a level with unnecessary cosmetic surgeries.

However, I shouldn't complain too much about the clause, because it may be my saving grace--my thyroid condition does contribute to my weight, and my endocrinologist is going to write me a letter to that effect, which is what the insurance claims they need. We'll see if they really authorize this after all is said and done, but it's a ray of hope. However, even if they do cover it, it's only at 70%, and there may or may not be a $5,000 deductible before that starts. So, all in all, insurance may help or they may not. But if they don't, while the surgery isn't cheap, it isn't as expensive as some surgeries, and the hospital has a payment plan so you don't have to pay all at once.

Point being, I have options. And we'll see how the consultation goes, but I'm feeling very good about this. And in some ways, even though it's more expensive, it would almost be nice to just pay for the surgery on our own because we could avoid so much stress and red tape with the insurance company.

So, yeah. Moving forward on this, and feeling good. Although I still haven't wrapped my head around the idea that I could have this surgery. And then lose weight, for real, permanently. I'm not there yet, mentally. Which is probably good because it means I won't be as disappointed if something comes up that prevents this from working out.

But still. At the seminar the surgeon was talking about how his patients love him because he enables them to do things they could never do before. One of the examples he gave was wearing a bikini. And I snorted internally, because me? In a bikini? It is seriously inconceivable. SERIOUSLY. I can't ever imagine doing something like that.

You guys, seriously, I've never been thin, or even at a healthy weight. Never. I don't even know what my goal weight should be, because it's not like I can look back and be like, oh yeah, in high school I was at a good weight, I'd like to get back there. I really don't know. I suspect that my goal weight is something I haven't seen since middle school. How crazy is that? That I could ever potentially get down to such a healthy weight? Seriously, inconceivable. But also: SO AWESOME.

36 comments:

  1. That seminar sounds interesting. I think Sharon osbourne had the lap band or a similar surgery many years ago. I've heard that's much better.
    I hope your insurance pays for the surgery. Sometimes it seems insurance has all these hurdles in place to deter people even when things are needed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really wonderful that you are doing so much research and carefully considering your options here. I hope that it works out for you, that the insurance company will help you, and that all will go smoothly for you, whatever you decide to do.

    It has been so cool to see your life change so completely over the past couple of months! The whirlwind must be exhausting for you, but it is really exciting for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Tara said, I love that you are spending time researching your options. Getting opinions from more than one person. Getting Torsten on board. Really, at the end of the day, so long as you've done your due diligence, whatever decision you make will be the right one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i have had the surgery and lost the weight over four years ago and i still am mentally not there when it comes to conceiving being thin, i literally have to have people tell me what size to buy because i still do not believe what size i actually am. oh and goal weight? i never had a weight to look back on either-i am convinced i was born at a size 12!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be amazed every day for the rest of your life. I still find myself walking to the "Women's" sizes at Penney's and then realizing that I can shop in the regular section now. In my head, I am still the almost 300lb woman!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy that you're on a path that feels right to you. Crossing my fingers that the insurance accepts your letter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes, sweetie.

    Oh! And your company sucks. What a crappy policy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you are looking at the options and being very diligent. It is not an easy solution but you are being very academic and looking at everything.

    Good luck with the insurance company!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's funny, the first person i thought of was Sharon Osbourne, too.

    Anyway. Good for you for fully exploring all of your options. I have a friend who is going through the seminars right now trying to figure out what to do. I'm concerned about her because i don't think she's doing ENOUGH research, but it sounds like you know what you want! Good for you. I hope it all works out for you. And a bikini? HA! I would NEVER expect to get into a bikini. Wow, crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something to think about since your company benefits aren't really helping [I am sure you already know =) ] You are buying a house this year, so you can get the $8,000 First Time Home buyer's Credit from the government. You do not have to pay that amount back - we 2008 home buyers get $7,500 interest free, but have to pay it back $500 per year within 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck - What an exciting possibility for you!

    As far as the insurance goes, as a plan administrator I can tell you that with insurance costs as high as they are, both to the employer and employee, I fully understand your employer opting to not have that covered. Each rider costs extra, and they do have to make choices cost wise. I'm glad it will work out for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you're able to get some coverage from insurance. I hate dealing with health insurance but obviously, we all need it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy to hear the hope in your voice (er, text!)! Your taking the right, slow steps, and doing the research, getting excited... I hope whatever option you choose gets you where you want to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is absurd. I mean, sure, they have to do something to make sure people don't just get elective surgeries all willy-nilly, but when you've done your research and can prove you've tried all other options? The insurance policy should account for that. If it's any consolation, my health insurance sucks, too. (I realize that's no consolation.) Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so encouraging! That you could be not just a HEALTHY weight, which is probably what you are NOW since you eat well and exercise well, but a THIN weight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You mentioned your company works on obesity prevention, which I take it to mean you guys encourage a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. Preventative medicine is the best way to stay healthy!

    I agree with your company's decision to not cover these types of procedures. For a company to preach healthy, active lifestyles and preventative means of obesity and in turn pay for lapbands or stomach stapling would be make them huge hypocrites. The fact that they will allow such procedures in the case of physiological disorders such as Cushings, or other disorders just goes to show you that they aren't against the surgery, but rather against the idea of "taking the easy way out."

    Nothing in this life worth having is ever "easy," and I'm normally strongly against these types of cosmetic surgery in most cases. In your case, I'm guessing subclinical hypothyroidism and that isn't your fault at all! The Endocrine System is capable of affecting a person's body in soo many ways, and a slight irregularity in it can have tremendous effects. I'm glad to see you're doing your research and I wish for the best, which ever procedure you decide on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am all for you doing this (not that you needed a strangers approval).

    I had a breast reduction some years back. I knew it would help alleviate the back pain but I didn't know how happy I'd be with the look and "smallerness" (not a word?) of them. It did wonders for improving my outlook.

    Fight the fight with insurance. I think with your doctors behind you, you have a good case.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I mentioned before but Dave's sister just had the lapband surgery a few month ago and is doing great. She had the same problem as you with trying every diet and exercising and it just wouldnt come off. She looks great and still has a ways to go, but I would recommend it based on what I see from her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you're exploring your options! Can't wait to hear what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's always great to remember you do have options, thats fantastic. good luck dear!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The author of a blog I read, bellabelly.typepad.com, had the lap band surgery several years ago and has had two pregnancies since. You might take a look at her archives and/or send her an email to ask about her experience.

    I think the lap band procedure sounds like a less extreme and less invasive one than the gastric bypass, but only you (and Torsten) can make decisions about your health. It sounds like you've come to this from a place of thoughtfulness and lots of research, and I'm glad you feel so confident about your decision. I wish you the best in getting your insurance to pay for the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's great that you're doing so much research and consultation. I know what you mean about internally snorting at the idea of wearing a bikini. I've never been thin enough to pull that off. If this feels right to you, then go for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been reading along over the past few weeks as you've discussed your journey towards surgery and I'm so happy to hear that you're headed in a direction that brings you happiness and optimism.

    There are a few people in my life who have had this surgery and it has brought all of them great success. Like you, they explored (and exhausted) all of their viable options and decided in the end (with the help of their doctors, of course) that surgery was the best course of action. Each of them had success with it and are doing great.

    I think it's wonderful that you've helped Torsten to get involved. With things like this, it seems like you can never have enough knowledge and support on your side!

    I hope the insurance company accepts your letter and that it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh! That company policy with the insurance is so shitty. So discriminatory, judgmental, oh sweet jesus. It pisses me right off.

    I am glad you are feeling good about your options!

    ReplyDelete
  25. most things involving insurance companies make me want to strangle someone. usually some at the insurance company.

    i'm so excited to hear what comes of all this..!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My sister had lap band surgery a few months ago. I also have a cousin who did gastric bypass. The lap band is definitely less invasive, with fewer potential side effects...but it's also working much more slowly. Which is not a bad thing, just something to keep in mind if you do it--you'll have to settle for slow and steady. (Not that I'm thinking you'd have a problem with that. :))

    ReplyDelete
  27. My mom had the lap-band and she is so excited that she can share jeans with me (almost).

    I'm glad to hear you are doing tons of research, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have my fingers crossed for you! It sounds very promising...Good luck with the packing, too (ugh)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's great that you are doing so much research. I know that you will make the right decision for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am a person with zero expertise in the matter, but I am a person who thinks you are a wonderful person who one hundred percent deserves to feel as beautiful as you come across to all of your readers. I think you should go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Less invasive AND less expensive? Crazy unusual! Also, insurance companies suck big hairy toes. It's a fact.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so glad to hear you are looking into this option. You have done what you can as far as you can and if this surgery is going to help you envision yourself as the beautiful person you are, then it is by far the best choice. Sometimes it's hard to do what's best for ourselves because we deceive ourselves into thinking we don't "deserve" it. But as you keep on growing and becoming more mature you can see you are worth every part of the journey it takes to get you where you want to be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. You're obviously doing a ton of research, which makes me feel like whatever path you take? you'll be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've known two people who did the lap-band surgery, and both had tremendous success.

    The only part that weirds me out is that you can feel a part of the system through their skin. I felt it when hugging one of them, and she told me that sometimes she can even see it. I don't know why, but that kinda freaks me out.

    I do hope your insurance sees the light!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is great! I'm glad you got to go to such an informative seminar.
    If memory serves me correctly, the lap band surgery has less risk of complications later too so that may be another money-saver in the long run.

    That's pretty dumb about the insurance thing but I hope it all works out.

    I joke with my husband that that the last time I was at my ideal weight was at birth - and I'm sorry he missed it. ;)

    ReplyDelete