Friday, March 13, 2009

Happy happy place

I forget who it was, but somebody recently said to me that even though they know I'm working and everything, hearing about my life makes it seem like I'm on an extended vacation. And I have to say, I kind of feel that way too.

I mean, I AM working, and a lot, and it's fine. In fact, it's great. I love working from home, having my own space and a lovely window and not having to commute, and being near Torsten and having healthy lunches and having Montana around being adorable all the time.

But my life just feels so relaxed and lovely, you know? Maybe this is a honeymoon period but it's more than that. It's just a quality of life difference. Working from home is a big part of it, but being in a city that we love makes a huge difference. Wanting to get out and explore is such a new feeling. Having fun, beautiful places to explore, and a car that gets us to all of them... it's so nice. Having a dog forces us to get outside and move around, and I feel great about that.

I'm losing weight. I feel like I'm slowly starting to get to know my way around, and maybe even make a friend or two. I'm excited about the possibility of that house. I love the people here. I love the mountains. I love how much time Torsten and I get to spend together. I love that we feel settled already. I love that this place is so affordable. I love how friendly everyone is. And I LOVE the weather. Not just the unseasonably warm temperatures we've been having, but the sun and the lack of humidity. The sun! It just totally banishes seasonal depression. I can totally handle cold temperatures when there is sun to go with them.

And I just really love feeling at home, and permanent. There's no transience to this. This is where we want to be. I can't imagine a better place for us. I mean, every place has its drawbacks and I'm sure we'll find Denver's, but the good stuff we've found so far will definitely outweigh whatever bad stuff we come across.

I love thinking about the future. I love that we're so close to it. I love that there will be a home that we will make together. I love that there will be a family someday to fill that home. I was thinking about buying a house and being pregnant last night, and how fun it will be to decorate the baby's room. It just makes me so happy.

It's all so real, you know? It's right in front of us and it's ours for the taking, just as soon as we want to reach out and grab it. And knowing that, and being in the right setting for all of that, is just so relaxing.

Moving to Denver was scary. We knew we wanted to do it, but it was hard to uproot ourselves and move further from both of our families, particularly mine because we had been so near to them, especially my sister. There were so many unknowns. But we knew, in our guts, that it was the correct decision for us. And we were right. I just didn't realize until we got here to what extent it was going to make a difference. But it so, so has. We weren't unhappy in DC, not at all, but here? We are definitively, unequivocally happy.

22 comments:

  1. unequivocally happy. reading this post gave me the warm fuzzies. i am so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just made me grin when I read it. I love that you took the risk and it worked out perfectly.

    So happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Ooh! It was me! Meeeeee!

    And now I realize that it is not that you moved and are posting pictures from afar, but your entire attitude that makes it seem like you are on an extended vacation. You are just so happy, and it really does make me happy to read about it! I hope it stays this way for you for a very, very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so very awesome that everything about the move has worked out!! And I agree with Bessie, reading how happy you are made me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so happy you guys found the place for you! it's funny, that's pretty much exactly how i feel about dc :-) it just feels like it FITS. and has everything i want. i know it wasn't for you guys, but i just love it here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you guys! Such a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving to denver made me really, really happy too. Well there was some depressive episodes but that started before my move, so I had to process through them. But yea. I'm happy to be here too. And just wait until spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always dreamed of living in Colorado, so I love hearing all my concepts about the place confirmed! My friend did a residency in Denver last summer and said she spent every spare minute outdoors, soaking it up. Sounds like you and Torsten are doing the same! I'm so glad you've found a place to feel at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for Denver! I got my Colorado Department of Education forms in the mail the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm, happy!

    I don't know why, but I really WANT you to buy that house! Like it will affect me in ANY WAY! But I was thinking about it off and on all yesterday and am still thinking about it today, with a restless "They better SNAP IT UP" feeling. I want to picture you in that house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I half-feel like this post should have a "And They Lived Happily..." ending! I'm so happy for you darling!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ten (!) years later, I still echo everything you just said about Denver and Colorado. I love it here and it's very rare that I've heard anyone say anything to the contrary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unequivocal happiness is awesome. I'm glad Denver is working out so well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Swistle. I have been thinking about that house and wishing you would buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, I'm so happy for you! What a great feeling to know you're "home"

    ReplyDelete
  16. this may sound weird, but ... i just recently discovered your blog, and i've noticed how clean your writing is. It's so perfect! it's like a haven from the world of typical blog grammar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds wonderful. Sometimes you just need a new start--it sounds like it's working out great for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's obvious that you made the right decision in moving to Denver. I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. No wonder you are losing weight- when you first move into the altitude you burn 400 more calories a day just because your body has to work harder. I'm glad to hear that you are so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for this post, Jess - it was really encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete