We also started cooking last night, and as such, the olives are marinating, the cookies are already stored in an airtight container, and the custard is solidifying in the fridge as I type. We'll both be leaving work early and spending the afternoon alternately cooking, cleaning, and relaxing. And then we have a lovely, beautiful, wondrous four-day weekend to follow with absolutely nothing to do. It's going to be AMAZING.
Anyway, a couple of you asked about the menu, so here you go. Our friends will be bringing an unspecified appetizer and hard cider. Here's what we'll be providing:
- Three different types of microbrewed beer
- Red wine
- Champagne (for midnight)
- Nonalcoholic sparkling apple cider
- Marinated olives
- Guacamole with both yellow and blue corn chips
- Three different types of crackers (sourdough, garlic and olive oil, and water crackers) with three different cheeses (brie, goat cheese, and some other random cheese that looked yummy)
- Scallion pancakes (this is my reach appetizer, as I haven't made it before--but the recipe looks relatively simple)
- Filet mignon with onions and sausage insides (a German dish)
- Spaetzle in pepper gravy
- Fruit and custard trifle
- Andes creme de menthe chip cookies (thanks Devan!)
Happy New Year, everyone! Here's hoping it'll be a great one for all of us.