Wednesday, February 6, 2008

From Lacoste to London

I skipped the Tuesday Retrospective yesterday for the second time in three weeks. After four months, I'm starting to feel like I'm stretching for a good memory to talk about, one that inspires me to write. And I don't want to feel like I'm forcing myself to write about a particular subject for the sake of a self-imposed weekly blog tradition. Especially not when I have something else on my mind that I want to discuss.

But I love the feature. It's taken me through a lot of good memories and produced some good posts. So I'm not canceling it. But I'm going to scale it back from every Tuesday to just those Tuesdays when I really have something relevant I want to talk about.

In other news, our scale is broken. It's been broken for over a week and because we bought it over a month ago (six months, to be exact), Amazon told us we have to talk directly to the company to get a replacement. Which I did. And I have to ship it back to them (and pay for the shipping myself) and then wait several weeks for a new scale. Which I find infuriating.

And, horribly, it is making me much less motivated about Weight Watchers. Yes, this is supposed to be not just about the number on the scale but also about my health overall. And it is. But still. I like to see the results of my efforts in numerical form on a daily basis. It helps me keep my willpower. Without that confirmation of my success, it's hard to keep from slipping.

Also, I really wanted to closely track my weight loss rate now that I've started on thyroid hormones, and without the scale, I can't. AND because every scale is a little bit different, I won't really be able to know how much weight I've lost overall since I started, either.

By the way, on American Idol last night, Ryan Seacrest was wearing the exact same Lacoste shirt that I got for Torsten for his birthday for half price at Macy's. Is Ryan stylish? Should this be a compliment to my/Torsten's taste? Or is it a problem? I would show you a picture of Ryan in the shirt, but I swear, there is not one to be found. I literally went through all 523 photos in the Atlanta gallery on the American Idol website, and found nothing. NOTHING.

Lastly, I've spent the last two days editing 125 pages of resumes for a proposal. At first, I was tolerant of mistakes. By the end, I was enraged at any and all people who have ever inappropriately availed themselves of the serial semicolon. So, I think I'll use my frustration for good, and at some point in the next few days, post Part 2 of my mini copyediting course. I swear, it won't be angry.

The other good thing about this huge pile of editing? I get to use the extra hours as comp time during our trip to Germany in April. So that helps make me feel less grumpy about going. And also? We've officially booked our tickets, and to make me feel even less grumpy? We're spending three days in London before we go to Germany. And it's actually saving us money to do so. The flight to London was cheaper than flying directly to Germany, and we don't have to pay for a hotel because Torsten's best friend lives there. Which is the real reason we're going.

I haven't been to London since I was eleven years old. I am SO. EXCITED.

49 comments:

  1. Amazon has been a big pile of crap lately. They have shipped us two broken Xboxes (TWO!), an incorrect book, and a wok that came in seventy shattered pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I want to go to Europe now! :) I actually have cousins in Belgium...hmmm...

    I know what you mean about needing the satisfaction and accountability of getting on a scale every day. I hope you gets yours back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ridiculously jealous that you're going to London. Hopefully you're way more excited about the trip now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I have been WISHING for more on the copyediting! I have!

    Who uses a semicolon on a resume? WHAT IS THE NEED?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've NEVER been to London and am ridiculously excited for you! How fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have never been to london. think i'll fit in your suitcase? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buy a scale, use it for a week while you wait for your new scale to come and then return it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woooo! Should be a blast. I'm thinking about heading to London sometime in April for a short vacation.

    Can you start with an inexpensive new scale until the new one comes in just so you have an idea of your day to day progress?

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats awesome about your trip!! congrats :) ive always wanted to go to both london and germany. maybe youre my idol? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to suggest something some might consider unethical. Go to a local Bed Bath & Beyond and buy a scale. Use it until the one you trust comes back. Then, return it. It may not be the most consistent way to measure your weight loss, but it will give you that day-to-day fix you need.

    While I'm not as big of a fan of London as some, I think it's great to be able to see it from the eyes of a local!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love weighing myself. I work at home so I will hop pi a couple times a day. Obsessive? I really find that, like you, it is a great way to keep me motivated and on track.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh HOORAY for london! that's fantastic! it's such a great way to make the vacation a little bit more of an actual VACATION for you guys... squish in some totally personal stuff that YOU wanted to do. like... LONDON! awesome! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always hated that when things go wrong with something you purchased that's under warranty, you have to pay to get it shipped to them to fix it.

    Also: I bet my weight would be more inclined to go down if I stepped on a scale more regularly. I can count on one hand the number of times I step on one in a year, and that's usually for "fun" (ie to ease some boredom while in the bathroom). I hope your scale returns soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. dude?! will you take me with you? please?? PRETTY PLEASE??? you can just stuff me in the suitcase and I promise I'll be all sorts of quiet and all sorts of awesome and all sorts of excited.

    *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to go to LONDON!! Luckyyyy.

    Also, I am slightly/quite embarrassed by the way numbers on a scale can make me feel--either elated or defeated. So one day I just stopped. Maybe later...

    ReplyDelete
  16. London is my favourite city in the world, if i could live anywhere, it would be there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you're excited about the trip now!

    I hope you'll have a great time :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. i would love to visit london again. i was only there for a couple of days and there is SO much to see and do. how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhh! London! Looking forward to seeing pictures...I'm so excited for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Check out Swimming With Sharks. She just got back from London. I really want to go to London now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I think we need to start calling you "Jess of the World" with all of your global travels.

    London sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm excited for your post on copyediting and also cringing at the same time since you read my blog. Oh my, it must make your head spin. The semicolon and I? Not really friends. The comma and I? It's an abusive relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  23. London? Ohmylaws, I am so jealous!! You will have such a fantastic time!

    And I can't wait for your copyediting post!! I have a slightly twisted love-affair with grammar... did you read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves?" You should. It's awesome!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. I want to go to London! Can you fit me in your suitcase please? Hehe! Sounds like fun though..

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been to many european countries, and still havent been to England. Its next on my list, I'm so jealous!!! have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay, London!

    Also, I love the editing posts. Keep 'em comin (is that correct grammar? where you you find 'em in the rule book?)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love London. You are going to have so much fun! Glad things are working out with Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm also a little afraid to know that you read my blog. :)

    I can't imagine weighing myself daily - I would go insane. Then again, I obsess in the other direction and might, say, skip breakfast and lunch if I woke up and had gained a pound overnight.

    London! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1. Our scale has been broken for MONTHS, and because my weight had been causing me to bum hard leading up to that point, I haven't replaced it. I keep hoping I'll magically get motivated and lose weight and when I next step on a scale, voila! I'll be down twenty pounds. I think I need to buy the scale, go ahead and get bummed again, and THEN be motivated. Humph.
    2. I haven't been to London since... EVER. I am SO jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, I love London! And since you don't have to sacrifice your retirement fund to stay in a hotel, you can really go out and enjoy the city!

    ReplyDelete
  31. (Sorry, hit the "Publish" button prematurely.)

    I think; you should; do another; copyediting post; therefore, thereby, i.e., e.g, THE END.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oooo I'm so jealous! And I think you should just replace the scale. Even if ultimately the number is tiny bit off, you'll still be seeing results of your weight loss consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Seacrest is a tool, but Lacoste is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I personally hate the scale. When I'm feeling all good and skinny and then step on it? It brings me down because it's never at the number that I want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Squee! You're coming to 'my town'. :P Where abouts does Torsten's friend live?

    ReplyDelete
  36. I find it hilarious that you looked through 571 photos to see if you could find one with Ryan wearing the Lacoste shirt! Lucky you, getting to go to London and adding three days on to your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  37. ooh, london on a business trip!! Woot!

    Also, go get that scale because it sounds like WW is doing wonderful things to your body, and I love to hear about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That sucks about your scale. I hope you keep up the good work, though. Then when you finally get your new scale it will show a much smaller number!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ooooh London, I'm so excited for you. Jealous but excited...

    I can totally understand your frustration. A broken scale can weigh down motivation. Don't let it.

    I'm turning into such a chump, I cried last night while watching American Idol...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh I'm so damn jealous of going to London. TWO bffs have moved there are I'm TWO times as jealous because I want to see them and I want to live in London.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congrats on the trip! I'm somewhat envious as I have always wanted to go to London.

    I feel your frustration with the scale. How will I ever know if the new one is calibrated the same?

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am jealous that you get to go on such a nice trip. I am still saving for Spain, the bright side is now my friend may be coming back here to study for a year...OH THERE IS A GOD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. London sounds wonderful!

    I hear you on the frustration about broken stuff. It's such a pain to have to return things and wait, just another stupid, practically pointless project to add to a packed list. GR.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh wow, everyone's intense upset with amazon is making me super nervous because I just ordered a TV series I've been wanting forever (not telling ,it's that embarrassing) and DO NOT want it to arrive extra late or broken. Damn.

    I understand about the numbers, too - my scale is my security blanket, and without those red digital numbers I feel like I'd be completely adrift.

    ReplyDelete
  45. oh that's absolutely wonderful about your trip to london and germany!

    keep up the resolve, dear - and good luck with the weight watchers even sans scale. it will be back in no time - and think about how amazing it will be to get that scale back and to step on it and see some ridiculous different number from the last time you stepped on it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Agh this weight loss thing ... there was a point in my life when I wanted the perfect figure. Weighted myself everyday. Got that little high everytime I lost a kilogram. It wasn't healthy I became obsessed. It's all I can think of ... I'd gone BUT

    ReplyDelete
  47. i'm going for the FIRST TIME in november. I'MMMM sooooo excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh! London! That is next on my list of places. No, wait, New Zealand and Australia are next. London comes after them.

    Have a great time.

    By the way, I really like the mini copy-editing course.

    ReplyDelete