Monday, October 15, 2007

The weather in New York was perfect.

First of all, thank you guys so much for all your encouraging comments on my last post. I was a little nervous about publishing it since it felt very un-PC, but you guys made me feel much better about the fact that I'm struggling with those issues. Also, on Friday DC Blogs featured my wedding registry post (actually, if you go to DC Blogs and scroll down, you can still see it) so my traffic more than doubled, which was great but also made the timing of such a personal and potentially controversial post a bit more awkward.

Anyway, enough with the housekeeping. Obviously what everyone is really interested in is the trip to NYC, since you all helped with the planning. And first of all, let me just say that you people made brilliant suggestions, and we took you up on a lot of them, and the trip was great. We did not have time to do everything (including, tragically, the Met, which will have to wait until next time), but Yohan absolutely loved it. He is so sweetly in love with the US, probably in part because he doesn't know very much about it or its politics. And he adored New York. And given that we were only there for a total of 30 hours, about 8 of which were spent sleeping, we covered a lot of ground.

We went to the Carnegie Deli (photo by Torsten):


We saw the Statue of Liberty (photo by Yohan):


We went up the Empire State Building at midnight (the best time to go because there's no line, and a great view of the city lights) (photo by Torsten):


We went to Chinatown, where Yohan had his first ever dim sum experience. Also, I got told off by the waitress because I asked for more water at the end of the meal, then didn't drink it all. She was very upset (photo by Torsten):


We took an open-top bus tour which, conveniently, stopped right in front of the Waldorf Astoria long enough for me to photograph its sign:


We bought postcards (photo by Torsten):


And of course, the boys bonded:


It was a great trip. You can see the full set of photos here. So now I want to know: What did you do this weekend?

13 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip! Glad your guest enjoyed himself.

    Hmmm... this weekend were two soccer games on Saturday. One each for my two middle girls. They were effing EARLY, which sucked, but the girls played well. Then a surprise visit from a brother-in-law who was passing through town that afternoon.

    On Sunday, my husband and I, along with our oldest daughter, planted 11 tiny little Colorado spruce trees in one corner of our yard. When I'm about 70, they will provide a nice barrier between our house and the road. We also installed a light fixture in the kitchen, which had been lacking for a couple years now (just a bare bulb for a while).

    Then, for being such a big help, I took my oldest daughter to Wal-Mart, where she spent her saved-up allowance on Dance Dance Revolution for the Wii. Then we played it for about 2 hours. I think I may be addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Postcards 10 for $1? What a deal!

    Really, she told you off for not finishing your water? Yikes. Who says things like that? You should have told her that you had only wanted half a cup more of water, not a whole cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, I'm stuck on the water comment . . . because this same thing happened to me, but with extra rice (which is pretty bad, actually).

    Those pictures are great, and it looks like you guys a pretty wonderful weekend.

    I went to an arboretum and an Argentinian restaurant wherein I got hammered on a drink I cannot pronounce or spell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are two VERY CUTE BOYS.

    I will have to bookmark this turbo-tour for a future trip to NYC. Seems like the perfect mix.

    I saw "Michael Clayton" at the movie theater upon the insistence of Rottentomato.com. It was good, if not a little depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I did almost the exact same thing as you this weekend, since my college friend was here visiting. I took her to the Empire State Building, across the Brooklyn Bridge, to South Street Seaport, shopping in ChinaTown, shopping at Bloomingdale's, shopping in Soho. Wow, I didn't realize we did so much shopping.

    And you're right, the weather was JUST PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am glad you guys had a fun trip, but am also insanely JEALOUS.

    Sorry about the water incident. Maybe it irritated her, but that doesn't give her the right to yell at you, for Pete's sake. Did you tip her well, despite her rudeness?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your photos! Love them! So jealous!

    As you have already read about, I puked over my weekend. yay, me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a great time!

    How was Carnegie deli - it's fairly close to my apartment but I've never been. Good?

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS - Our save the date's are going to be NYC postcards. Essentially because, well, ten for a dollar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. JMC--Wow, sounds like a fun weekend. I have yet to try DDR but I've heard it's great.

    3Carnations--I thought about telling her something to that effect but I figured it wasn't worth getting into an argument with a waitress who didn't even speak English very well.

    Flibberty--Sounds like you had a great weekend as well. There's nothing better than unpronounceable drinks.

    Tessie--I know! I'm so lucky to have them both, huh?

    Stephanie--We shopped too, BELIEVE ME. It was great. But I didn't have photos of that part because I was too busy shopping.

    Artemisia--We did tip well because she was only the water refiller person and the other wait staff were all very attentive. And actually, that waitress did a great job keeping our glasses full throughout the meal, even if she yelled at me at the end.

    Penny--Thanks! I always love your photos too. You should post more of them, I think.

    Clink--Carnegie Deli is GREAT. We actually had already been there several times and it's one of Torsten's favorite restaurants ever. They have a really good hamburger and all their sandwiches are delicious (I love the bagel and lox--SO MUCH lox) and of course their matzoh ball soup and then the milkshakes and cakes are all delicious, especially the cheesecake. They aren't exactly Weight Watchers friendly but they are oh so delicious. We've found that the best time to go is really late at night, when there's no line and it's not nearly as crowded. Also, the postcards as save the dates are a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it horrible to just say you should read my blog? Cuz I just wrote about my weekend... :) LOVE the nighttime picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am jealous I want to go back to NY. I want 10 postcards for $1 that's madness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in NYC this weekend too! :) I'm glad you had a good time, I will have to blog mine later.

    ReplyDelete