Thursday, August 9, 2007

How do you explain in writing how to do your job?

Man, this whole changing jobs thing is a big deal. It's been pretty complicated at work as everyone has found out that I'm leaving and they are now all coming to me with the last-minute stuff that they want me to get done for them before I go. I have my few projects that I've been working on for awhile, and those are what I'm personally determined to see through or at least get well underway before my last day (August 17), but then there's a lot of side stuff that has to be dealt with as well.

And now there's a whole new element as well. The editorial department at work consists of three people, including me. And now one of the other two people has also given her notice (a total coincidence--neither of us was aware of the other's plans). So that means that when we leave (she goes just three business days after me), there will be only the managing editor left. And the two of us who are leaving are the ones who deal with a lot of the small details and organizational systems of the department, which means that if we are gone before our replacements start (which is highly probable), it will be very difficult to train the new people, because a lot of institutional memory will be going with us.

Not to mention the fact that there will be only one person here to handle all of the editorial jobs that come to us. She's going to be very overwhelmed, I think.

Anyway, so the two of us who are leaving have been asked to write detailed explanations of how we do our jobs--sort of pre-training in writing to be left for our replacements, whenever they start. I started yesterday, and it's turning out to be a very complicated and slow process. I understand the necessity of it, but it's definitely one more big project that will need to be completed before I leave.

And in some ways I'm still sad about leaving, because I do love many of the people in this office and I think this was a really great first job out of college. But I am so, so excited about the new job, too.

2 comments:

  1. I always lead with "Like Atlas, I hold up the sky on my shoulders." I find it gets the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the more I try to work on this document, the more I'm starting to think that your approach might be the best solution.

    ReplyDelete